1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dethatching vs. Aerating

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The Curious Porpoise, Jul 31, 2006.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

in the fall, i will be offering my customers both dethatching and aerating. i have aerated before, but have never dethatched. i don't own either machine, so i rent the basic blue bird. the cost to rent either machine is pretty much the same. How much more should i charge for dethatching over aerating? let's say i charge $100 to aerate a property-how much should i charge to dethatch the same property?

i assume after i lift all of the thatch layer up i have to collect all of it w/ the mower?
  2. bjlawnman

bjlawnman LawnSite Member

Dethatching takes much more time than aerating, you have to pick up the thatch after which takes quite a bit more time depending on what you use.I would charge more for dethatching
  3. bayaa

bayaa LawnSite Member

I would double the cost of the thatching if you have can remove the thatch in one pass maybe slighty less if it is not that thick.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you dethatch, I hope you own a good sized dump truck.
  5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

About 3 X more for dethatching, plus disposal fee.
  6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Dethatch, aerate then slitseed works great for lawns. Don't forget to topdress the lawn either.
  7. bearmersch

bearmersch LawnSite Member

I use a swisher yardage rake to dethatch lawns. It has a 60in pass and really works up the yard. I pull it with a F687 Ztrack and then use the F687 to suck up the clippings. I usually do aeroating in the spring.