Dethatching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prasino, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to thatch his lawn. There is a good amount of thatch, but I told him that I usually thatch lawns in the fall so i can seed them. Would it be advisible to thatch now in the summer? Could any problems occur to the lawn after it is thatched? Would seed germinate this time of year?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

First of all, did you put down Pre M on this lawn? That will make a difference if it will germinate or not. Spring or Fall is the best time for this.

3. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

I do not apply any chemicals on this lawn.

4. Eric ELM

I guess I should of asked, did he or anyone put down any Pre M on this lawn. :)

If not and the seed is kept wet, it will germinate, but it will need to be kept wet until the seed gets roots deep enough to keep growing. Spring and Fall is the best time, but if he still wants it done now, don't give him a guarantee that it will grow. It's up to him to keep it wet enough after you do the job.

5. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

Thanks alot Eric for your response. I just recieved a call from him telling me that he wants to go ahead and do it, he just wants to get that thatch out!!!

6. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Thatching like aerating will damage the turf in order to get a benefit. It needs to be getting rain to allow it to recover. We are extremely dry here right now and I wouldn't do any turf stress inducing operations (aerating, thatching, etc.) until the grass is growing again. I don't know what your conditions are like or if your customer would be willing to water, but he could get a normally beneficial operation done and actually have his lawn look worse. I've always heard that we should get several weeks of normal growth after these stressful operations.

7. Eric ELM

From what I've heard, out in his area they have had rain.

We are very dry here too, this is the worst dry spell we have had here in a few years. :(

8. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I second you on that one Eric. Dry as a bone.

9. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

I know that thatch is the layer of dead grass laying on ground, but how do you guys get rid of this stuff?

10. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Yep Eric,

Rains have been pretty consistent here since that april/may dry spell but I still wouldnt dethatch the lawn now. The weather in NJ can change in a day, from the mid 90s last week to highs only in the 70s this week. That steady rain can go away real fast with a change in the jet stream, and August can be a bear.

I would tell the guy to wait until mid-august early september which is the ideal time here to renovate a lawn. Id would try to educate the guy on this to avoid problems later when the seed didnt grow in like he expected.

CMerLand