Dethatching?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Mar 11, 2002.

1. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a dethatcher for my walker, and would like to know if they are worth it. i have been told they are. I am not sure what to charge, or how to sell it. So some help would be great.
    thanks

2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I use the JRCO dethatcher on my walkerand suck up at the same time. They work great . I mostly use it to do my spring clean ups but if costormer just wants dethatching done I will charge $20 to $30 over what I charge for a mowing.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i usually encoporate dethatching into my spring clean up price, but i do have 4 lawns that are in a development with no leaves, and ill i do is dethatch and mow. Like slplow, i usually get $30 on top of the mowing price. Basically i charge twice the amount of a mowing.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I also use the Jrco rake, I have it mounted on the front of a 36" walk-behind. This is a huge time-saver over the standard power rake, and with the Walker you will really be cranking. I think I paid about $300 for mine, and well worth it. Regarding selling this service, I incorporate the thatching into the clean-up price. When I sell to a new client, I make sure I tell them that we include thatching with their clean-up, and not every landscaper does. People like to feel as though they are getting more for their money. Good Luck, Mike

5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Jrco here too. It works good. We charge the same price for dethatching as we do for aeration usually a little more than triple the price of a cut. We also do them in the spring during clean ups or as a separate service in the spring. There is just not enough time for us in the spring to give price breaks for clean up, dethatch combos. But if you are just getting started or not booked up in the spring you could combine the two services with a special rate.

We also go over the lawn 2 or 3 times with the Jrco to get more thatch out. That might be why our price is a little more than some.

6. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Jrco here too. It works good. We charge the same price for dethatching as we do for aeration usually a little more than triple the price of a cut. We also do them in the spring during clean ups or as a separate service in the spring. There is just not enough time for us in the spring to give price breaks for clean up, dethatch combos. But if you are just getting started or not booked up in the spring you could combine the two services with a special rate.

We also go over the lawn 2 or 3 times with the Jrco to get more thatch out. That might be why our price is a little more than some.

7. What are you guys giving this away for?

Those attachments cost you money, I thought you were in biz to make money.

Atleast 2 man crew has is marked up some.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it is a BIG moneymaker.
    I have the Walker unit that snaps on the front of the deck. No tools, on in 10 seconds. If you break a tine you can change one out in less than 2 minutes with a wrench and pliers. The Walker unit cost under 200 bucks and you will pay for it and make money after the first hour or two of use. JRCO's unit is alright, I own one of those too and have it mounted to a walkbehind but it is much more expensive, heavy, and more cumbersome to use.

Stick with the Walker unit. Pricing is a regional thing but I will tell you this - it is a lot of work to shovel thatch out of a trailer or pickup bed, if you are haulin away then charge the big $$$. Good Luck.

9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Question for you guys... how does the frount mounted unts compare to a traditional dethatcher? Or Verti-cutter (Ryan Reno-thin)?

Assuming you're on a blue grass/rye/fescue lawn (not creeping bent grass) - does the front mounted thatcher lift enough thatch? Or do you have to make multiple passes to be equivalent to a "power" dethatcher?

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnlad,
    This is a huge topic of discussion and lots has been written about it. Suffice it to say that if your customers lawn has a TRUE thatch problem it is advisable to get a vertical mower like Ren o thin or Bluebird and take care of the problem. Core aerating is also a great option for a heavily thatched lawn.

The spring tine rakes actually fluff a dormant or growing lawn and pick some but not much thatch out. It is a service that people here want as it makes the lawn look nice before it greens up. Not to blow your question off but try a search on dethatching and aeration, you will find a ton of information but modify your search with Groundkprs name. He has some extremely detailed and informative posts anout your question. Good Luck.