developing tight routes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laborador, May 9, 2004.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Justed started out this past April. Have about 13 customers right now. My original plan was to concentrate on 2 areas of town to do my business. I am starting to re think this and just take on customers anywhere in town, even though it will kill my gas consumption and then as my business grows I can develope tight routes closer to home. Do you guys think that this is a good strategy or do you think I should turn down work if it is not worth the trip to do at first. THanks
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends. If the possability is that a customer wants an estemate from subdivision "A" that is say ten miles from you, I weigh in factors like size of yards, posabilities of getting the neighbors, how many lawn guys already servicing that area, is your equipment suited for such type of yards (big, small, flat,hilly), ect. Sort of chancey sometimes but you could find nice areas in places you didnt know were there.
    Ive had large mowers almost from the start. One subdivision I service has yards mostly over 1 acre each & they have a community rule "no fences" unless they have a pool.:D
    Ive been in that area for 10 years now and I have 25% of the yards in there. It is very profitable for me in there now because I can spend all day in there and just mow them all without driving or unloading a bunch. Other guys with just 36" mowers cant be as productive in there as my 72" & 60" mowers