1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Devil Weed?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Platinum Service, May 11, 2008.

1. Can any one help me out here? I have a customer that tells me they have something called devil weed in their raspberry patch, 8 acres to be more specific. They want me to help them control it organically. I have not even seen it yet since it's at their summer business location. What is it? Can it be controlled or eradicated organically? If so how?

2. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Do they mean Jimson Weed??
  3. That's what I thought but they said they have always heard it called devil weed. Any Ideas on how to control Jimson?
  4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Dioscoreaceae is a family of monocotyledonous flowering plants, with about 750 species in eight or nine genera. The best-known member of the family is the Yam (Dioscorea).

The APG system (1998) and APG II system (2003) both place it in the order Dioscoreales, in the clade monocots. However, the circumscription changed in the APG II system, with the 2003 system expanded to include the plants that in the 1998 system were treated in the families Taccaceae and Trichopodaceae.

god help you!
  5. Tree Gal, your miles ahead of me. I don't understand what your telling me. Can this stuff be controlled organically? How?
  6. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Jimson Weed almost never comes up in lawns in my experience. I've only ever seen it on farms. Never had to deal with it.
  7. my customer has an 8 acre u pick
  8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Don't feel bad plat. Sometimes you just have to ask these guys to put things in laments terms.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Basically she told you nothing. BTW, why not just post a link to the Wiki TG instead of the cut and paste?

Jimsonweed (also known as devil's weed) is Datura stramonium, a dicot belonging to the family Solanaceae.

A burn down should be effective since it only propagates by seed. Do some testing with various concentrations of acetic acid, fire, or other organic means of achieving a burn down. A light cultivation and mulching may also work on a smaller scale.
  10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

i dont think it is datura, its more a vine, like kudzu. lets see a picture and stop speculating