Dew is a problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Jan 26, 2004.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Our grass is sopping wet till 9:30 or 10 every morning. Makes it hard to get an early start. We try to start with small lawns that we can bag. How do you get out at 7:30 and work with such wet conditions. It slows us down, especially with blowing, and the quality is noticibly poorer.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Look at the thinner stands, and grasses that are in full sun light first in the day. You will always run into wet conditions early, it's just a matter of how you organize the lawns.

Some thicker lawns you can't do early in morning, so switch them up with thinner, more dry lawns that don't have irrigation systems.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ain't it great.Now ya know how the northeast part of the country was most of the past season.
    Tiedman's got it,do the thinner,sunnier,less fertilized lawns first,then move on.
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

AND make sure your blades are real sharp!
  5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I have had the same problem a few times over the past month and found blowing the yard first helped alot. It takes more time initially but is probably a wash when you consider the additional time it takes to get rid of the "spinach effect".
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

This is a problem for me in the early fall. Really screws up my day. Try to start a little later. Or just deal with it. Either way, I always bring 2 pairs of shoes and dry socks.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My JD 757 used to have trouble mowing grass that was soaking wet from dew. I used to get a few clumps here and there. I don't have that problem now that I switched to Meg Mo blades.
  8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea of meg mo blades but they look really wierd. howbout gator blades, they are cheaper, which are better for mulch mowing wet grass? what is the disk for on the meg mo? how do i put it in the vice to sharpen the blades?
  9. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

One word: Walker
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

trying 2b organic,

I sharpen my Meg Mo blades either on the mower with a air powered sander or I clamp a bolt in the vice and set the whole Meg Mo blade assembly on that bolt to sharpen them. Either way i always use a air or eletric powered hand grinder or sander. The blades actually bolt to the disk and the holes in the disk help create airflow.