Dew on the grass, mow or wait?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm interested in hearing your response to this question.

I've always been told that it is not as good to mow wet grass, for the grass or the mowers. My mowers tend to get clogged up with the wet grass resulting in poor cut, rusted decks, clumped discharge, etc.

How do you handle this?

Scott

2. deason

deason LawnSite Member

If you are behind schedule - MOW

If you are caught up - WAIT

very simple

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

this is where equipment matters most.

in the spring, wet long grass,a true commercial mower will get the job done.

we dont wait for dew:cool:

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

this time of the year there is dew untill 10:30 -11:00. I can't wait that long so I cut. I try to cut the thinner lawn early and the thicker ones once things start to dry out a bit.

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

i hate mowing dewy grass so i wait . been a few times ive almost got into fist fights because i got wet grass on someones car just not worth the hassle to me . ill do something else till it drys a bit

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ill mow it if it has dew on it. if its an irrigated yard that has grown an awful lot, then ill wait till it dries out.

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as there is no lightning, we will be found mowing. Compared to downpours, dew is nothing. Look into mowdeck, i have not used it, but may really like its results.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As others have mentioned your schedule will dictate if you mow or not. If you can wait it is much easier but if I am behind then I have to mow and scrape the deck more often.

Gravely_Man

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I am a solo and there really is no "wait" option. I dew (pun intended) not mow in the rain but I will cut with dew. You can try slowing your ground speed and RPM on your engine. Sometimes slower turning blades will not make the grass cake up under the mower as bad.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer not to mow wet grass but down here this is no choice. If I waited for the grass to dry out, this time of year, I would be so far behind, I would never catch up. I just do what I have to do.