DeWalt Cordless Impact Wrench

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heybruck34, Sep 16, 2004.

1. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

First off- I did a search and all I found was information on whether or not a cordless impact wrench can be used for removing blades.

My question deals specifically with the DeWalt brand rather than a cordless impact wrench.

I am looking to buy one of their wrenches and see two different models of battery on eBay. One has the XR+ while the other has the XRP battery units.

I have searched the DeWalt website and all I see is that the XRP units are "40% stronger than regular batteries." Is the XR+ a "regular" battery? I can't find a side by side comparison of these two. It appears that the XRP is the only line carried by DeWalt now.

Does anyone use either or both of these batteries on either cordless impact wrenches or any other DeWalt tool? If so what is the difference, if any?

The XRP batteries have the yellow top if that helps.

Thank you!

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I have several Dewalt cordless tools. 18v XRP. The drills are great the reciprocating saw is only good for 2 2x4's before the battery is through. IMHO a cordless impact wrench would ber a joke. I wouldn't trust it to tighten one mower blade. On some mowers, a slightly loose blade bolt can damage other parts

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Makita rechargable impact and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It works great for changing blades, and I have never had had ANY sort of loosening of the blades. I run doubles many of tomes, also. A rechargable impact is an asset as a timesaver and is worth every penny. I haven't seen the Dewalt yet, but if it's anything like their other tools, I'm sure you can't go wrong. The main thing to look at is torque - directly related to voltage. Mine puts out just over 80 pounds, so it is perfct for blades. I carry it in my toolbox in my trailer, and recharge it about once a week. I change my blades daily on an average.
    As far as the battery question goes, maybe the difference between the two is how long a charge will last. If that's the case, it's really not that big of an issue, since you can charge it every couple of days if need be. You charge it overnight anyway, so it's not like you have downtime or anything. Check the torque specs of the gun first, although you'll probably find that yours will be even more powerful than mine. It comes in handy for several other thing, as well.

4. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Dually- do you know the difference between the XR+ and the XRP batteries?

I haven't been able to find a comparison and this is the main focus of my question.

If the XRP batteries are really that much different I'll make sure I get them rather than the XR+

5. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

The different titles on the bats are marketing, they change them to make htem look and sound better. All dewalt 18 volt packs are good packs if they have xrp or some other "high performance" marking. Dewalt once had some low end packs on their cheap end tools that had no markings on the side, these were a lower capacity battery. So i wouldnt worry about the xrp vs xrp+ stuff, they all will do just fine in an impact wrench. Choose which ever you like best.

Snapper

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If you go and look at any fire department's rescue truck. I bet you will find 18 volt deWalt sawzaws. One battery can easily have enought power to remove the top of a car. That is 6 to 10 posts of thin and thick gauge metal to cut throught. I have done it and see it done many times.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I had the same bad experience with the 18v sawzalls in rescue situations. Dewalt did an extrication competion in our area years ago when the cordless saws were new. We used 8-10 batteries just to remove one car roof. Needless to say the donated 18v stayed at the station....once the 24v versions appeared.....

Derek

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I thought that the 24 volt stuff was discontinued. I saw them on the "closeout table at Home Depot several years ago.

I thought the rescue squads had a chain saw that cut wood and metal. If you came charging up to save me with a cordless recriprocating saw I would "die laughing"

I use an air powered impact wrench 625 ft lbs of torque. I have an old electric (120v) impact wrench. It was kind of handy, but you aren't going to change a truck tire with it. A 80 ft lb wrench might snug up some 1/4" nuts.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I used the DeWalt electric impact and I abosultely love it. If you are going to use them in the field, just get electric ones and get a converter for the vehicle to use them

10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same thing.. Dewalt electric.. Just run a power inverter off your truck battery and work away :cool2: