DGlights? Anyone have any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, May 4, 2007.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting looking fixtures... lots of fins (to disperse heat I imagine).

Just wondering- has anyone had any dealings with this company and their products yet and do they offer anything that would be considered a real LED "breakthrough"?

www.dglights.com

They claim:
    Benefits of Our LED fixtures:

ETL Listed UL1838

LED Specific

Field Proven

Superior Light Output

Anti-Wicking Leads

9-15Vac Input

Equal Brightness

Sealed Electronics

Serviceable​

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of em. Notice how dark it is in the background of the pictures. I wonder how long the exposure was to make those lights look bright. There is know way you could do that with some light still left in the sky, which is really the best way to take night shots.

I think LED still has a few years to go.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

most of al I dont like the color of the current LED's I think it looks cheap... If you look at it there is almost a pulsation to the light.

4. samluke

samluke LawnSite Member

I'm glad to hear that people are discovering DG Lights. Great company with a great product (quality is amazing). I attended a demo of their products almost 2 years ago put on in Northern California for a group of local lanscapers & designers and was shocked at the light output of these LEDs. When compared side by side to halogen, well lets just say these LEDs don't have a long way to go...they are there.

5. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

In order to gain some credebility, could you post some of your work? It's easy to post "words" without some sort of proof that you actually know what your talking about.
    Thanks Bunches Stud!

6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Glad to hear someone has tried them and likes them.
    I'd like to see comparative photometric charts.

Photos can be tweakedto show unrealistic results. Where can I see them in person?

7. samluke

samluke LawnSite Member

Hey there! Yes, you can see the product in person. I know they do work with a group out of San Jose / Los Gatos. You can contact DG Lights directly and they will give you references to call. I know the DG Lights rep does frequent trips to the Bay Area and is willing to do demos. I actually heard through one of my contacts in San Jose that someone from the company will be in your area sometime next week, so I encourage you to call them. You can contact DG Lights via their web site www.dglights.com to book something. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Sam :waving:

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

From the LEDs I have seen, they still have a long way to go. They seem OK for about 4-5' out from the lamp but then, dissapation. You still have to be able to adjust wattage for light quality and have yet to see an LED with varying beam spreads. I would have to see it to believe it "in person". It's coming though. Just some tweeks in the technology and halogens will be a thing of the past. Maybe another 5-6 years before some real effective LEDs for spots and floods.

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

ah, sam luke, you have not used them? And it sounded like you liked them so much !

I gotta tell you, the cree LED flashlight on my keychain is bright, brighter than the 20 watt narrow spots I aimed tonight, but it is not for lighting houses. the warm white may be a better look, and I REALLY like the idea of a constant output of light from a 9-15 volt imput range.

BUT, asking Installation folks to change requires risk. and charging customers for that risk is a bit unfair. I also am building a long term revenue stream and value to my company by yearly rebulbing. If I only have to rebulb every 10 years, that ain't gonna happen.

If Led's can be shown to be a long term light, beautiful light color, then I'm interested.

10. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

The effects of these LED fixtures shown in the gallery are horrible. There isn't even one I'd be proud enough of to show my mom. They are so dim that in 1 photo there are two fixtures mounted way up in a palm tree about 4 feet under the fronds and they are still not even close to being properly illuminated. Terrible.
    Pioneers end up going home with arrows in their backs.
    Sit back relax and keep doing what you are doing until when and if they ever are able to get some lumens out of these things, verify longevity and become effective for the purpose of landscape lighting.