1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Diagnose this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jun 23, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Mowin today (duh) with my 25 hp 72" that has never ever gave me an ounce of trouble and guess what..............it ain't doin' so good now. Still under warranty so no biggie. It was runnin' like a champ until I lowered my rpm's to disengage the blades. When I gave it some throttle to get back to the trailer she started spittin' and sputterin' and sounded like she was on 1 cylinder. Brought her home, pulled the plugs........OK, one was a little less than perfect but not that bad. Pulled the air filters off and cranked it again just to make sure it wasn't a "air" problem, nothing changed. Pulled the fuel filter out of the hose and gas ran through it like a cow peein' on a flat rock. Sprayed carb cleaner in the carb and managed to get her up to a faster idle, when it got there it was spitting through the muffler as if there was some gas getting through the cylinder without being burned. I kinda came to the conclusion that it might be a coil............but I ain't no mechanic.

Any suggestions. I sure needed it tomorrow to mow some commercial accounts I'm waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy behind on cause of these afternoon thunder bumpers we been having.

2. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

Hey homer

I dunno know but you can barrow mine if you come get it. lol

3. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Before you change any parts change your gas
    it don't take but alittel bit of water to cause a miss
    My Z turns will burn anything (Kaw) but my push
    mower runs like poop on cheap gas LC215 W/ 6hp Briggs

4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Homer,
    You checked all of the things I would have checked. I've noticed lately that a change of plugs helps even if the plugs look good. Sometime those plugs can be deceiving little bas***ds.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

it really sounds like a plug just blew.
    they can look perfect an be shot inside.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Got gas at the same time for other mower............running fine. This is a 25 hp Kohler, not a Briggs 5 hp.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Did you put new spark plugs in it?The one that wasnt so hot-was it oil fouled,worn,or gas fouled?If one is OK,and one isnt-thats the cylinder thats giving you trouble.If its the coil,your going to have to go without it or rob it off the 50".These things always happen on a saturday afternoon about 5 minutes after your dealer closes,it seems.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

A few weeks back my 25 Kohler on the Kees did something similar. It was really down on power and sputtering. We had mowed in a pretty heavy rain the day before. The choke cable, while appearing to be pushed in all the way, was still partially closed at the carb. The cable at the linkage was kinda "gummy" and there was a little black fitting on the cable (actually where the nylon outer covering ends) that slipped off. I put it back where it belonged, and worked the cable a few times and it ran fine.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would stick in a new set of plugs first. As others have said, this could be the problem and it is the cheapest and easiest to fix. I also have seen plugs that looked just fine, but they were shot.

10. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Homer
    If none of these other ideas work, remove carb and spray carb cleaner in reverse of the way fuel usually goes, a small pc of trash can cause lots of trbl. I have to do my Kohler like this couple times a year.

Good Luck
    Dennis