1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Diamond Blades when to buy new?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Peach, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

Just a survey ....

We do a lot of hardscape. Currently we use our diamond blades
    basically until we get disgusted, slow down, etc.

But they're awfully expensive and always have a bit of life when we retire them.

What do the rest of you guys do?

We use large blades on our cut off saws and also small blades on our circular saws?
  2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We use the blades untill they die ...k950 partner saws is all we use.
  3. capital

capital LawnSite Member

If your cutting with alot of natural stone you might find that the blade is getting clogged as we say................take a man made brick and cut through it with the blade and sometimes it will clean it out and bring it back for some more hours of use. We keep concrete block for foundations around just for this purpose. And always make sure the guys no not to add water to a dry blade cut as this shortens the life cycle .
  4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

When they start "grabbing" and also sparking you know its time to change your blade.

I trash mine, however some guys keep an old blade around to cut sod or for demo work. We go through a lot of blades.

our web site
  5. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

You will also find that your blades will last longer on a wet saw. Cut off saws burn up blades fast. Of course it depends on what your cutting too. Obviously you need cut off saws for block but for pavers your best bet is the wet saw.

Rex- great site....i love it.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We found that our table saw was burning up blades like crazy .. 3 or 4 times faster than our cut offs. All our cut offs have attachments for water and are run wet.
  7. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

My partener cuts concrete for his full time job. I know they save their blades and core bits and get new teeth or bits what ever you want to call them welded or installed on them. Maybe find a local concrete cutter and find out who they use!