1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Diamond Trailer Needs New Tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cclc1021, Mar 24, 2006.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Hey all. I have a 77x16 diamond trailer that needs tires to pass inspection. The tires on it now ar 205x75x15. I called a few places to get prices and most of them said that I should not use regular car tires on the trailer.

What size tires should I use on this type of trailer? I would appreciate any feedback.

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

anyone buy tires off of ebay?
  3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer tires have a different load rating and can hold a greater air presure. Car tires should never be used on a trailer. Go to a trailer dealer and ask a lot of questions. The size of the tire you can use will depend on how much clearance there is under the fender and the load you will be haling. Most dealers have the proper wheels and tries in stock.
  5. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

6. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Try calling Lux Trailers in Lanham Md, they should be able to help you out or most tire places can get trailer tires.

7. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

You want "D" rated tires, which I believe are 6 ply rated at about 1,820 lbs. loading each.
    If you are stictly local hauling with no highway, you may try passenger tires. You really don't want a blow out.
  8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I would personally stick with trailer tires myself. They are made for trailers and probably the best idea. It is never worth the risk!