Dichondra in cool season and warm season turf

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Carolina Greens Turfcare, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Carolina Greens Turfcare

Carolina Greens Turfcare LawnSite Member

I have a client that has dichondra coming up in their yard and I was wondering what you guys would recommend for controlling it in cool season grass.

I also have some coming up in a bermuda lawn as well if you could help with that.

I am licensed.

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

In warm season I use metsulfuron.

3. Green Leaf Turf

Green Leaf Turf LawnSite Member

Anyone tried celsius on warm season for Dichondra?

4. jds912

jds912 LawnSite Member

i spot sprayed, with celsius, a 2x3 ft. area of dichondra growing in st. augustine last tuesday.went by to pick up my check today and it looked as healthy as it did before i sprayed. dollarweed was starting to yellow. i will hit it in a month with trimec southern if nothing happens. it was mixed at the high rate, 3.2 grams to the gallon. i had some left from spot spraying chamber bitter and doveweed from different account. good luck.

5. Green Leaf Turf

Green Leaf Turf LawnSite Member

jds,

Thx for the info. I noticed on the label it says it will take two applications, so hopefully it will knock it out then for you! let me know how it goes.

6. GreenThumb11

GreenThumb11 LawnSite Member

Celsius does not control dichondra but it is on label. We mainly use atrazine to control it in warm season grasses. Make sure you read label and follow all procedures with atrazine!

7. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

Celcius works great on about anything its labeled for. the key to celcius is using surfactant and being patient. Keep in mind this time of year temps are dropping and celcius works off of heat.

8. GreenThumb11

GreenThumb11 LawnSite Member

I assure you If Celsius is mixed the proper way according to label it won't even remotely control dichondra. Dichondra is on the label. Not arguing with you but I have use Celsius for 2 years now with 3 different techs including myself and it is a good herbicide for warm season grasses in heat but doesn't control everything that is on label. Very slow product!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If your tank mix sat for more than 2-3 days forget Celcius working on just about anything.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

What surfactant did you use with it?