did 15lawns today after school.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, May 28, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well today i had 18 planned for todayn i did 8 yesterday. i wasnt expecting to get all 18done today but i got pretty damn close. got 15 done. bagged every single house, the whole truck bed is FULL to the top of the window with grass, cant even see outta the window. but im really happy i got 15 done, i had 2 people working for me which helped. also each lawn was about 5k sq ft. :) jus thought i'd letcha know. oh ya, no rain or anything either today :)

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I hope you had the professionalism to contact the three home owners you dissed to let them know you will do them first in the am.

we should be concerned about our image as lawncare pros!

GEO ;)

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I am curious. How much are you getting per lawn for those 15?

This is why I ask. And I'm not busting on you, just pointing this out. It's great that you are getting that much done, but with 3 people working per lawn, what is your profit margin for that? Also, you have to take into consideration the fact that you have 3 new lawn mowers you just bought. The cost of which is also spread over all of your lawns. When you take into consideration your labor, your equipment, and other costs, are you making a good profit? I'd be less concerned with how many you are doing so quickly, and more concerned with how much you are making. At 25 lawns, I would think you could get that all done yourself and save all the labor costs to come back to you on profit. I did 17 lawns today by myself in about 9 hours. I'm sure I could have done more with help, but my profit margin would also come down. While a slight dip in margin for someone with a large volume of work isn't so damaging, for someone doing only 25 lawns, having 2 employees plus expenses eating into profits is deadly. IMO.

I'm not knocking you for your initiative of having employees and ability to do so many lawns. It just seems to me that at 25 lawns, with 3 people working per lawn, you are short changing yourself and dipping into your margin. It is important to be aware of your costs and what you are spending per lawn, in addition to how much you are bringing in. 15 lawns in a day after school is great, but don't lose sight of all aspects of the business.

Just my 2 cents.

:D

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

not bad for knocking out that many

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did 13 on thursday with 2 guys didnt bag any.. had to double cut a couple.Most my lawns take about 30 mins to an hour and a half to complete using a scag zrt and walkbehind.

6. Corvette

Corvette LawnSite Member

then you didnt do that many 15 divided by 3 is 5 each nothin hard there rednecks

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I took to much work for myself and would fall a little behind about every 2 months. I would hire 2 or 3 guys to come out and help me for a week, no matter what the cost, just to get ahead. Even If I was only breaking even for thatt entire week with no profits I thought that it was better to get them done right than start dropping people mid-season. Then in the winter I thinned down my client list and kept only what I could handle. The point is, some times you have to bite the bullet when you start to fall behind. Its better to leave happy customers on your terms than angry ones on theirs.

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Corvette, this appears to be a dead URL. What is it?

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i only paid them $30 for helping me, and the other did for free. but i see what your saying, but also first year or two is spent on equipment. and also, i go to school so i need more people to help during the school year. once summer hits ill be solo or have just one person helping.

thanks for the words of wisdom :)

10. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Listen, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, but what time did you get out of school?