1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did a big yard clean up on the wrong yard.....woops.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Dec 6, 2006.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead: I had a lady call me to do a yard clean up. She said her house is right across from a yard I do regularly. I thought to my self , ya, ya, I know where that yard is. I lost the street number she gave me and she didn't answer the phone when I called. So I figured what the heck, I know where the yard is.

So I show up with all my equipment and my guy to the wrong yard and start working. About 4 or 5 hours later we finished the clean up. We sucked up a huge pile of leafs we accumulated. I mowed the lawn to give it that nice manicured look. We did a good job. We packed up and when on to the next thing that day.

When the real lady got my bill she called me and said I had never showed up, and she wondered where I was. Why did I get a bill? Oh god, I did the wrong yard :angry: I apologized to the lady and she understood. But man did someone get a good deal this year or what?

I'm wondering if I should go to the yard I did and introduce my self, lol.

Crap happens
  2. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

That's gotta hurt. :cry: :cry: :laugh:
  3. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, that sucks...I guess lesson learned, but I would tell the neighbor that you did a free cleanup in their benefit and for them to consider using your services in the future...when it's not free. Man that must of cost you like $500...maybe you should just bill the neighbor too and see if they pay!
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

That is funny from behind my keyboard, but that has to hurt. I would go knock on the door and introdue myself and laugh while telling him what you did. Who knows, you may get anothe good client out of it. If nothin else, you will make his day with a good smile.
  5. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

That kinda sucks, but I would introduce myself. That has to be some of the best advetising you could do for them. I am sure they like you about now, and I agree you both will get a laugh.
  6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha, I've come extremely close to doing that, I've been at number 31 when I was suppose to be at 21 or 13 and the people come out...."hello?" "Hi im Jeff hows it going" "Good, can i help you?"....etc. When I usta work for another LCO, we did the wrong house once...my boss got paid for it too and got a new account out of it...it was some special home owned by the state, he sent the bill the paid it said the work was great and hired him...and gave him a bunch of houses...aint that a joke. Dont work for him anymore....

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

That's funny right there. I've mowed the wrong lawn on accident, but never bagged the wrong one. Oops!
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

thats funny sorry to hear that though i guess on youre next leaf job you can go use that guys front yard as a dump zone to make up the money
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You've got to be kidding. You mean you quoted a price on a yard over the phone? A vague idea about the work involved? If this really happened, I guess you learned some sort of a lesson.
  10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that Lawn Mower..I almost had that happen this spring. We had actually started the clean-up and the lady came outside. I had the right address, but there are two in the same town, she said she gets my new clients mail all the time. So she got all of the sticks picked up off her lawn for free:laugh: