1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Did a few apps of 1-2-3 NPP - refreshing smell!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 16, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Got out and did my first round of fungicide apps today for lawns infected with NRS. Mixed up a few backpack fulls of 1-2-3 NPP with LI-700 to acidify my water supply. Smelled like I was spraying clove scented weak orange juice on the lawns:) It was actually a little refreshing, rather than the usual 2-4D ester stink I usually suck in.

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Life is good. :)

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Will be good if I avoid an outbreak of NRS in these lawns which typically happens late June through mid-July. This product better work:)

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

NPP is a good product, but it takes more than spraying it to keep diseases at bay. Like I mentioned in another thread, don't apply high N fert in the summer. I would switch over to a more organic based fert that encourages soil microbial activity rather than a quick N release (if you don't do so already). IMO, a more holistic approach may be the better solution rather than applying a fungicide.

5. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't think you could spray from a back pack. Not enough water? Barry are you able to spray from a backpack?

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Question not meant for me, but I use to use a Stihl SR420 (mister) with this material. I mixed on the fly as the NPP will sink to the bottom of the tank.

With this material, water isn't an issue as this material is mostly meant for disease suppression, but the stuff I had didn't have curative and preventative rates. I know Bill used to say you could use it for grub control as well, then you would definitely need more water.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

You can spray NPP with a back pack for fungal diseases.

8. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Ya the NPP directions state to mix 2-3 ozs (depending on if preventative or curative) of product with one gallon water to cover 1k sq ft. Backpacking is suited well for this (for smaller lawns).

10. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member

It smells good but I don't think it works. I tried it on a small section under a tree that had powdery mildew (I think because ther was excess nitrogen from some miraclegro soil added that was lefetover). Didn't do a thing.

I have a few sections that had some smut disease, did not do a thing. I ended up using a more traditional fungicide which worked fine. I'm not trying to put the stuff down but so far it does smell good but has been worthless imo.