Did a few apps of 1-2-3 NPP - refreshing smell!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 16, 2012.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

NPP is not labeled for either of these diseases.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Just put down a round of Milorganite on my NPP treated lawns.
    Fingers are crossed, updates in June.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Put down 2nd app of NPP on lawns infected with NRS. Did so at the curative hi rate, as some of the familiar 'frog eyeing' was just starting to peek through. I freaked and did the 2nd app of the product soon thereafter, thoroughly dousing the worst areas with NPP mix.
    Went back to one of those lawns today (week after app), and the frog eyes were much less noticeable.

Really, my booty is on the line using NPP, milorganite, hi mowing, and aeration to combat NRS. If this doesn't work for me and my customers, I won't be feeling real great about it. So far, some promise but the jury is still out until we get through July.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still curious... are we still only treating the symptoms with these products???

I don't see that organics selling stuff to treat symptoms being that much different than treating symptoms synthetically...

please understand, I'm not knocking anybody's products, I was just noticing that things aren't really any different here...

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you forget to read this part? using NPP, milorganite, hi mowing, and aeration to combat NRS

He is addressing the problem by using cultural practices in addition to treating the fungus directly. There are no silver bullets here, it's all part of a program. Proper irrigation should also be included with in the program.

Cultural control practices are targeted
    to minimize the effects of necrotic ring
    spot infection. Management practices
    that promote deep rooting during spring
    and fall will help reduce the extent of
    necrotic ring spot symptom expression.
    Also, the effects of infection will be
    reduced with practices that relieve
    summer stresses associated with
    compaction, drought, and nitrogen
    deficiency. These include implementing
    a balanced nitrogen fertilizer program
    (preferably with slow-release sources
    of N), re-directing traffic where feasible, and judicious use of
    irrigation.
    Although there are differences of opinion, most researchers
    favor deep, infrequent irrigation as part of a program to reduce
    the effects of summer stress on infected turf.

http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-116-W.pdf

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Barry - irrigation is one thing my customers do not do beyond what falls from the sky. Isn't any way I could get them to water systematically and correctly all summer long. Wish I could, but nope.

So, how does a good watering program serve to minimize the impacts of NRS? What moisture level (or lack thereof) does NRS seem to thrive in?

7. JoJo1990

JoJo1990 LawnSite Member

Water deeply and infrequently but make sure to avoid any drought stress. Try seeding with perennial rye too as it's immune to NRS. I always overseed with nearly a 50/50 blend just for this reason, plus the PR germinates so much quicker than KBG.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Good question... :)

9. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the NPP works. I'm not knocking it or trying to diss anybody, but I have not seen it do squat on anything I have applied it to. The tea on the other hand I think is quite nice.

10. scientia

scientia LawnSite Member
    from pa

It thrives in prolonged wet conditions, think rotting.
    If you can't control all the environmental variables to prevent it, well
    Spraying preventative and curative apps of chitin for NRS is like wiping with sand paper, yeah it feels like your doing something butt at the end of the day
    what was gained.:nono: