Did a few apps of 1-2-3 NPP - refreshing smell!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 16, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I too was interested in an answer to the question...

What do you mean by your answer???. it seems like your saying that the turf should be excessively wet in order for the stuff to work...

2. scientia

scientia LawnSite Member
    from pa

I concur,but at least there is a refreshing smell.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you adjust water pH to 5.0-5.5 before mixing?

4. JCResources

JCResources LawnSite Member

Worked great on an early season infestation of brown patch here in Kansas.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about him, but I used LI-700 to adjust my pH down. Did not take a pH test but did follow the label on the acidifier and the resulting solution with the 1-2-3 NPP had truly a weak orange juice smell to it, which I figure put me in the right ballpark pH wise.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So... does the stuff work better with excessive moisture?

7. phasthound

Small,
    I think you've misunderstood the conversation.

Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS
    So, how does a good watering program serve to minimize the impacts of NRS? What moisture level (or lack thereof) does NRS seem to thrive in?

Originally Posted by scientia
    It thrives in prolonged wet conditions, think rotting.
    If you can't control all the environmental variables to prevent it, well
    Spraying preventative and curative apps of chitin for NRS is like wiping with sand paper, yeah it feels like your doing something butt at the end of the day
    what was gained.

Originally Posted by Smallaxe.
    I too was interested in an answer to the question...
    What do you mean by your answer???. it seems like your saying that the turf should be excessively wet in order for the stuff to work...

It's Necrotic Ring Spot that thrives in wet conditions, the turf should not be excessively wet when applying NPP.
    And it has been stated several times in this discussion that NPP (which contains chitin) will only alleviate the symptoms. A complete cultural program must be established to reduce/eliminate the cause of NRS. NPP is not a miracle cure.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I am seeing the NPP product mitigate the effects of NRS for sure. NRS usually starts to crop up bad about now, and so far all I am seeing is faint rings in the worst areas, instead of a complete ring die out like usual. Stay tuned....

9. phasthound

And you have used NPP as a tool in your systematic approach to the underlying cause of the disease.

I have never stated that NPP or any other product is a magic bullet.

10. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member

I went back and read the label again. Jeezus man they put that in small, small print, about as small as anybody could read.

No I did not change the pH but I certainly am willing to try. What can I add to tap water that will lower the pH without changing the NPP for the worse?

Thank you in advance...