Did any of you (need help)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by flychaser, May 4, 2007.

1. flychaser

flychaser LawnSite Member

ever bid on a rose trellis

I was at a customers home last night tilling her garden, when she asked "I need a rose trellis built" That's fine with me and I will accommodate. She gave me a rough drawing, dimensions are 7.5' x 8' with 4 cross pieces on top and 3 on each end. She wants it 7.5' high with the post 3' underground in concrete. I am thinking of using PT 4 x 4'rs for the main frame and 5/4 for the cross pieces. Here is my questions, have any of you ever built one and how did you go about coming up with a cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

2. ptlawnguy

ptlawnguy LawnSite Member

being a wood shop teacher I would keep track of cost and construction time. if you have a table saw to rip the material it will not take long to make. I would tell her $200 natural wood, $250 painted (most are white) and then another price for instalation labor.

3. ptlawnguy

think more about this it will not be that hard of a job, however pressure treated lumber is not cheap. I would only use pressure treated lumber for what is under ground. You could also buy firring strips for the rest. I would charge 250 minimum. Depending on the customer I would aim as hing as possible. You know your won customer and how much they are willing to pay. I myself would do the job for 300 said and done but would rather get 500 for a job like that. Remember. She cant go to lowes or HD and get a trellis like that. This is a custom job! Good luck!

4. flychaser

Thanks PT, would you go with 300 + material? or does that include the material? I am going to use all PT material. I am trying to come up with an alotted time, post holes dug and all!

Hey, I see your from PGH, I am a little north of you! How's business? I am going crazy!!!!!

5. ptlawnguy

all pressure treated, do the job for 300 + material at the least. I hate painting. Check on that before you price.

Buisness is good this is my second year. I am starting to get referals now.
    I am actually from freeport. Now live near New Ken

6. flychaser

I don't want to paint, that's for sure. I too, hate painting! Thanks for your reply, that's close to what I had in mind to charge her!

This is my fourth year, it seems every year I get more and more work. Not just mowing either.

I also do this part time. Keeps me in shape and I love the work!

I am from over in Gibsonia.