Did anyone advertise in a parade?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by doubleedge, Jul 4, 2008.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Did anyone pass out fliers or have a float? I was thinking about doing this, but it was too late :dizzy:.
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

During one of our festivals at the end of July or early August we have a two parades. One is a little smaller (about 60 entries maybe) and a larger one (about 200 entries). I did the smaller one last year, I don't think I will be doing it this year though, not that it wasn't fun or anything but just that it takes a while to get the truck and trailer ready for it (make it look nice). I'll probably get in it again next year though.
  3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the bigger companys did.
  4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I ride with around on my T-Bar and sulky. I have a special dispenser where I have saltwater taffy feed into the deck. Every so often I turn on the blades (my throttle's on low, of course) and shoot the candy out to the watchers.

I'm the most beloved lawn guy in town.
  5. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

haha, thats nuts
  6. bock

bock LawnSite Member

Are you kidding me? Thats crazy.....I would be too tempted to throttle her up to bunny and hit the white switch :laugh:
  7. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Don't give David ideas. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

The only parade we have is the Christmas parade. And I have thought about a float. But then I thought about all the people I see sitting around me at the parade and I said to myself no way....I would get calls from all these people with no teeth and can't even afford the basic necessities in life. You can imagine what their properties look like. I may get some good leads, but I know for sure that most would be junk. Unless I advertised only landscape installations. Then everyone in town could use my services. And I would only get calls from the people that could pay. But if I advertised mowing services, I would get calls from the sand pits from hell as I call them.
  9. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Christmas and a Marting Luther King Day parade.

We were going to pull a small trailer with a mower this year, but I don't know if we will be able to or not yet, with our moving in the air.

However, when David gets a call and gives a bid on a place he really dosen't want to do, he finds way to just not accept the job. But you never know what other big bid you might fish out of a little name recognition.
  10. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: Yeah, you are right. It was wrong to say what I said. But it is somewhat true. I guess our small town is not like any other small town. It has a decent section and a bad run down section. However, our entire town was started and built around the textile manufacturing industry. The textile company closed its doors so you can guess what that did to the town.
    The parade goes right through the heart of our small town, which just happens to be where all of these small, run down, sand pits are. Each little town in our area has its own parade, so not too many outsiders come to each one. That is what I was getting at really, I guess. I would venture to say that 80-85% of the people I would be waving at and throwing out candy and fliers to would be people I would not want to service for. I know I shouldn't feel that way, but that is just how it is I guess. The parade things really is a great idea though.