Did anyone Have Drought...Or Boo Hoo the Lawns are Turning Brown

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

In My 6 years @ LS There Has Always Been Multiple Threads about Drought & Lawns Turning Brown & People Crying there's Nothing to Cut & Customers Complaining their Lawn is Brown Even thought they Don't Water....

This Year....Nothing.....

Here....Solid Cutting Throughout the season...Will Get 28-30 Cuts Easy Even on Unirrigated Lawns...Usually 15-20 on Unirrigated...

But Customers Still Bit&^%..."My Lawn always Looks Long...Cut it Shorter......Why Does it Look Long? "

Because It's Healthy & Growing You Stupid Bas%^% !?!?!?!

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Yesturday was the last day of our little mini drought (3 weeks). Lawns were stressing a little but no brown outs. The last 2 weeks have been a blessing as this year has been one long spring.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

This year has had a good amount of water. The last two days have been overboard. Needed a forging kit on the Z yesterday as I was on a lot that had 2' (yes feet) of water sitting on it. Sun today but will have to cut the small lots with the 21" mowers as the soil will not hold any weight. Hopefully Ivan will be better to us but just saw that it is a 5 and maybe Texas will be in the path

4. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Try four months of no rain! then ya know ya got a drought!!

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The last two weeks were the only weeks where we noticed a little slow down where the grass wasn't growing as fast.
    Now yesterday and today it has been raining without stopping, we've had at least 3 inches of rain, with no end in sight. This has been a very good year for us, we couldn't ask for more.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We had a drought but I got tired of writing about it. I missed lots of cuts on the non irrigated lawns but now that the cooler weather is here it is a full schedule again. To tell ya the truth,, I like the break when the grass goes dormant in late summer. This year we moved so I used the time to pack. Now that I am in the new house, I need a drought to unpack.

Oh ya I also need a draft. :drinkup:

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a period of about three weeks where it got pretty dry but the rain came right back.I usually have a period where i hardly mow in the summer.It didnt happen this year.I actually still have a couple lawns growing too fast.

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We have had one decent rain since May. That is it. Thank god that all of my customers have sprinkler systems and use them. I do still have brown spots on those customers lawns that were laid out funky or they added an extra plant/bush/tree and didn't change the layout to accomidate the overall coverage of the sprinklers. for those I have been able to sell aerations and modifications to. Drought is a good thing for upselling aeration and overseeds in the fall. As for missing any mows ( I wish) I have been mowing every week since mid Feb and am awaiting November for the every other week schedule to kick in (boy do I hope I am not mowing weekly in November).