1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

did anyone out there have 1600 wide area mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 430 boy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

I was just wonder if anyone out there run or know of someone run a john deere . Reason i ask is i was talk a dealer here in the mid west that he stand one wide area mower again two zero turn? i don't know personal i think at would be a closes call. ;)
  2. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

Dude, not to pick on your spelling or use of the english language, but what are you trying to say. Will a JD 1600 Wide Area Mower (yes I have spent a lot of time on one) mow more grass than two ZTR's? The answer is yes and no. Yes if the terrain is open and somewhat flat. No if the terrain has a lot of obstacles and steep hills. :dizzy:

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I ran one for 4 years with about 600 hours per year. Awesome mower. Never had a problem.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run JD exclusively - except I have my own wide area mower (91/2foot) cost is about $16.000.
  5. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

sorry about my english sometime i can't write or spell to save myself. flex deck is your's a 1620 or 1600???? did anyone one have power problem when you get in to hilly ground?????? :waving:
  6. naturescaretaker

Never had a problem. The only thing we did was get is stuck a couple of times in some soft ground. Power was never an issue.
  7. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

hi coastal green one you run did it wear out the back steering first??? I"ve notice on mine that when it on demand 4+4 the back tire drag a little bit? ;)
  8. naturescaretaker

I never had a problerm. We ran it is a lot od sandy areas too which tends to make things wear twice as fast with the salt air.
  9. golf54728

golf54728 LawnSite Member

we have had a 1600 wide area mower on our golf course for nine years now. It mows a lot of grass in a hurry. The quality of cut isn't as good as I would like. Also be aware that any repairs are outrageous when you deal with John Deere. We have gone through several caster wheels because they take a beating and replacing some of the hydraulic hoses are ridiculous. We had to have the dealer replace one of our broken hoses because it was in such a ridiculous location and it cost us $800 for a $20 hose. Toro makes a better machine in the new 4700D but they are now so outrageously priced in the $55,000-$65,000 area.
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

5 year old thread dude...

Jacobsen makes a great WAM as well, local guy here has 5 of them, yes FIVE of them. They do an insane amount of cutting of lots and big properties. I couldn't fathom having the work to pay for one, let alone 5. Would like to have one though, just for fun, lol. I agree that the cut quality on a WAM isn't that good on any of them.