Did away with the outdoor carpet.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Had plenty of spare time this week due to drought conditions.. so I replaced the outdoor carpet with some grip tape. The carpet has always bothered me because it was always a mess on top and underneath of it.

I think the grip tape looks so much nicer.......

2. Lawn-Scapes

Other mower................

3. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea, and a nice job. Did you pick up the tape at a hardware store, or purchase it online?
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Bought it at a sporting goods store..... that sells skateboards.
  5. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont see dixie choppers around here and havent ever seen one up close.....with that said what is that red thing where you put your feet and what is that other thing?
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

The red thing is the manual lever to engage the blades. Dixie Choppers are known for their simplicity. I wish all mowers had manual engagement over electric switches.

The other thing is for setting the deck height.

Lawn-Scapes, looks nice. I wish I would have thought of that when I use to own a Dixie Chopper. I remember the dust build up created on top of the carpet and under it. I can still picture blowing it off and watching the carpet flap up and down when the air blew under it. Sorta like banging out the dirt on a door matt.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I removed not only the carpet but the entire floorpan and the brackets from mine to reduce the frontend weight. I also moved the battery back into the space on the frame over the right hand wheel motor. Knocked 71 pounds off of the front of the mower.

View attachment dixiepan.jpg

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

seems to me with that setup you can't extend your legs comfortably without stressing your ankles.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems like you just made it easier to wheelie :D

Or was there a legit reason? I know when I demoed one last year that I didn't really dig the sloped floorpan deal..

EDIT: Oh wait I think I see, did you do it to solely place more weight on the drive wheels to improve turning and hill performance? Correct me if I'm wrong..
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnscapes, the grip tape looks trick.. Or do I mean " Rad "... :D

It looks a lot better than the gay carpet..