Did doubles blow my clutch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ekammerzelt, May 16, 2007.

1. ekammerzelt

ekammerzelt LawnSite Member

I have a Bad-Boy pup with ~50 hours on it.

Per some advice on these forums I decided to try double blades, which worked as advertised btw. Really nice cut even in tall grass.

Well....about the 3rd time I engaged the blades somthing changed.

Instead of kicking into action at half throttle it slowly spins up the blades as if the clutch is slipping and makes a rubbing noise especially when I hit a heavy patch of grass.

It is certainly lacking in power now although the engine seems just fine.

So did I fry my clutch with barely 50 hours on it or is it maybe just out of adjustment? Its electric.
  2. ranger350

ranger350 LawnSite Member

check your belt, might be out of adjustment.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure that your belt is in good condition and that all idlers, springs and pulleys are in good shape and operating properly. After that you can adjust your clutch by inserting a .012'' feeler into the air gap and tightening the bolt next to it until feeler is snug but moves freely. Repeat for the other 2 air gaps then repeat the whole process again to make sure you have an even adjustment. If that doesnt work, ditch the doubles and buy a new clutch.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Do what this guy just said.

Also this is the reason I will not run doubles. It puts double the stress on the clutch, belts and spindles and also takes more power to turn them.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if these were desighned for doubles-they would come this way from the factroy.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

OMG somebody with common sense!!!!! :drinkup:
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

If you got the clutch, get those doubles off that mower, take it back to the dealer and keep your mouth shut.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Why screw the dealer if he did it. Would you like a client to say you broke a window when their kid did it.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How is he screwing the dealer? Dealers do not pay for warranty claims.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

took the words right out of my mouth. If anything, this is doing the dealer a favor! They get paid by the manufacturer for warranty repairs.