Did Gravel Rat buy a new truck???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Feb 20, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Did i read right? I swear i saw a thread in the truck section that he mentioned buying a 03 f450?????? Is this true?!?!?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if somebody would knotice :laugh:

Yes I bought a 03 F-450 2wd 6.0 6spd with 58,000kms (36,000 miles). I'am taking a chance and bought a 6.0 I did all the oil and filter changes. I know a few guys with 03 6.0s and no problems with them so I'am trying it. The big problems is from people not doing the maintenance which causes the injector problems. I don't idle the truck I start it up let it warm up a little and drive it. I'am still getting used to the 6.0 it its like other people say the engine is like a 460 gas on steroids. I haven't had any heavy loads on it yet I only had the truck less than a week.

The truck used to be a dump truck I guess it was a lease truck being its 4 years old and it only has the kilometerage it has. The truck has a flatdeck on it now I'am going to make into a dumping flat. The truck still has the dump body subframe and has the muncie PTO on the transmission. Its going to be a piece of cake to do the dump deck just have to mount my hoist on the front and mount the hinges.

The truck has to go on a diet thou there is some extra toolboxes etc that can come off and I looked under the truck while greasing the truck has extra custom made crossmembers that can come out I don't need them. The truck weighs 9300lbs with a 12 foot flatdeck. I want to get that down to 8500lbs which I probably can do. I know the "Superduty" trucks are heavier than the OBS Fords. The cab is bigger than my OBS Ford I'am enjoying the more room but I did go from a XLT cab to a XL cab so
    I have to get used to a vinyl bench seat :laugh:

The truck has 4:30 rear axle gears I do knotice that the truck moves a little better on the highway. I havent checked the mpg yet but I think the 6.0 is getting better mpg over my 7.3. I have been driving for days and the fuel gauge needle barely moves. The truck has a Detroit True Trac limited slip which I tried out and wow that works good even with the almost bald back tires the truck goes where my OBS Ford spun out. The newer S110 axle is massive compared to the Dana 80 in my OBS Ford.

The frame is heavier than my OBS Ford. I have a feeling the new F-450 will handle a load better than my OBS Ford. The truck has a exhaust brake on it works good takes a little while for it to come in affect being its a remote mount unit takes a while to build up back pressure.

I paid 29,900 for the truck then add tax and finance charges so I'am paying 700 a month for the next 5 years which is a little steep. Once I sell my 95 F-450 for 13,000 I will put all of that towards my loan it will drop my payments down to 450-500 a month.

I'am going to need to buy now is a hydraulic pump to operate my hoist I have the steel to beef up the flatdeck already. The drive tires are going to need replacing I have a feeling they are the original factory tires. I will run those till the cord pops out then buy a set of 4 bandag recaps. The steer tires will last me till summer they are 40%. The 19.5 rubber isn't cheap but they last way way longer than 16 inch tires. Recaps are about 150 each new tires are well into 300 each. I have run recaps on drive tires for years never had one peal.

This is a picture of the truck at the dealer

03Ford F-450.jpg

3. mrusk

Good for you man! We are all happy for you!

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you. Hopefully the "Oh No 6.0" will run for you. At 36K and being an 03 you still have some warranty left. You may also have the dealer check the VIN and see what warranty work has already been done. The motor seems to be real hit and miss as far as reliablity. I would have opted for 4X4 but you may not need it as long as you stay on improved roads. What are you going to do with it?

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Awesome GR! Glad you finally did something, we all know how unhappy you were whether you said it or not. I myself am thinking about getting back into cutting grass again. That's how depressing my restaurant job is.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats one funny looking daily driver :)

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If 19.5 tires last longer than 16 tires than I am not seeing it. I have 25K on my Goodyear high traction 19.5's and I will be needing to replace them by fall. I hope to get 35K out of them. That is no different than some high traction 16's I have run and worse than the Goodyear Workhorses I run on my 3500.

8. mrusk

Scag48 cutting grass again??!?!

If thats what it takes, i'd do it if i was you.

I still got a 60in laser and like 8 or 9 accounts. As soon as i book some work for spring they are all going except 2. My neighbor and the guy who does my mailings.

But if i had to go get lawns to make ends met, id do it.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I've spent a ton of time figuring out what I'm doing with my life. After I posted that last thread about school and such, I've spent a lot of time just sitting and thinking with my spare time. I'd like to get into excavation at some point, but it takes an incredible amount of money and I'll just never get there working for someone else, even if it is a good paying job. The thing of it is, I'm damn good at cutting grass, I still have a legacy in my home town as the best there is and I've been out of the game for a year and a half. I make good money at the restaurant, about $1600 a month working 30 hours a week. My monthly bills are right about $700 or so. That extra $900 can be split into $200-300 a month that goes straight into a long term savings account, the rest can go toward funding the lawn maintenance biz. I'll bleed for a while, the costs of getting going again are going to kill me. My dad owns my old truck, but he only really drives it in the winter. It basically sat all last summer as I had the F450 as my truck. So I might talk him into letting me use it. I'd compensate him for it's use and for a while I probably won't make any money cutting grass until I get going, just enough to cover a couple hundred a month in fuel and expenses. But, once I get some momentum, I could be unstoppable. My old man bought a brand new Stihl backpack blower last summer for a job we were doing, doesn't see any use, so I'm sure I could use that for a while and/or buy it from him. Plus I kept one Stihl FS85 trimmer so that's in my shop at home as well. All I need is a good 21" to get me started. Run everything out of the back of a pickup, true scrub style! I figure why get a trailer and have the hassle of getting around with one in the city until you absolutely need one. Plus, I have no idea what size of lawns I'll be working on until I'm in it for a while. So, a 21", a blower, and a trimmer is about all I need equipment wise to get me started. I have all the experience and expertise needed, I know excavation, but I know lawn maintenance and that whole gig about 10 times better. I have Wednesdays and Thursdays off at the restaurant, I could handle at least 10-15 accounts in those 2 days alone while still working at the restaurant. Now I just need to figure out how to structure everything. I told my dad my plan and he thinks I'm nuts! The guy I sold the F450 to knows the guys at the dealer I bought my Exmark from a 5 years ago, it's a really small world and it's weird how things work out. Something is telling me to get back in, I have no idea why, but for some reason it seems like a good idea.

10. mrusk

Scag, honestly that is your best bet. Start small. Get 1 crew going doing lawns, then move into pavers etc. Thats how most guys in my area got in excavating.

Very few people start out doing excavation. Their companies more or less evolve to that.

In a couple years it will be easy to get to get 30k together to buy a decent used 12 ton ex.

Matt