Did I bid fair or was I to low

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by packey, Jan 16, 2009.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I was asked yesterday to bid a sod install (labor only). The customer is purchasing the sod and is doing the dirt work. I gave him a quote of .33 cents per sqft to install does this sound right? The reason I ask is he came back with a emphatic yes as well as man you are cheaper than the others. This spooked me a little when I heard this so I am just wantin to get some honest feedback

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't a clue as to what the rates for sod installation are,
    but I can tell you that you did bid way too low.

3. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say if all you absolutely have to do is unroll the sod, than I would think for a single worker .33/sq. ft. doesn't sound too horrible, thats $330 for every 1k/sq. ft. or 100 rolls, and depending on how fast you are, okay your making about $30/hour I'm guessing, yeah, thats not great.

4. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

the last sod I installed was close to 1 pallet in an hour and a half that is 500 sq ft. On this job I have a helper and together we will throu around 1000 sq ft in roughly over an hour I have 5000 sq ft to throw

5. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

Well then, $1650 for 5-6 hours of work and 2 guys, that sounds pretty decent to me!

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I can not imagine that someone would go through doing all of the labor to prepare 5,000 square feet of ground and then turnaround and pay 33 cents a square foot to have someone lay it. I think one of you is not entirely clear on what is expected for that money.

Sod is expensive in my area and costs about 33 cents to buy it (delivered but not laid). The rate for supplying 4-6" of loam, fine grading it, supplying the sod, and laying it runs at between $1 and $1.50 per square foot from reputable companies. It is much less from start up companies and smaller mow, blow, and go guys who pick up installation jobs from time to time.

I have the feeling that your customer either expects you to do the prep work or thinks you are including the cost of the sod.

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yeh i think youre way to low.

9. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going out on a limb to assume that one of the "T"s is for truck.

That is a balzy looking truck. Perhaps it stands for My Other Truck Has Ti.....s?