1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

did I calculate mulch right?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Juan91, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Juan91

Juan91 LawnSite Senior Member

so i found the square footage of of the property areas for mulch to be 776 sq. feet

so i took the 776 and multiplied by the depth of 3" (or .25 so the units are the same) and came up with 194 cubic feet

i then took 194 and divided by 27 so i could get yards and came up with 7.185 yards

does that sound right to you?

thanks for your input,
  2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Lol you did it perfectly!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Juan91

sarcasm or no?
  4. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

you did it right, you could also take your square feet x it by 3" and divide it by 324 and you will get same answer.
  5. Eden's Own

Eden's Own LawnSite Member

there is a great mulch calculator at landscapecalculator.com that does all the math for you. But yes you did it right.
  6. Juan91

good to know eden!! thanks!

now to get prices on a yard of mulch, multiply by 2 or 3 and get me some money!!
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do it just as you did. I find it works better than trying to remember formulas. I always forget them in between jobs.
  8. Juan91

o.k. guys one more question. beds that are curved everywhere, do you block them off (make a rectangle or square) or do you measure the whole outside length and then figure out some way of finding width in certain areas?

im stumped on this one, getting some big estimates out of this dilemma
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Short of graphing it and using calculus to find the area, you'll have to make educated guesses on that type of thing. Just extrapolate and use average widths, etc. Especially on small jobs it's not going to change things all that much. Just err on the side of more mulch. If you were a little high on your estimate of area they get a little thicker mulch over a smaller area, so what?
  10. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Try this formula. Doesnt get much easier then this to remember.

3 yards per 1,000 sq ft per inch depth. Done.

2,328 sq ft = 7 yards