1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did I charge to much?(Leaf Cleanup)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

This is the first year I have tried the leaf cleanup thing and I am not very good at determing how long they are going to take. I have only done a couple. This particular job was for a weekly account I picked up this year. The guy called and told me to do the job without an estimate because he wanted it done (this may have been my first mistake). Anyways, the job took me about 4.5 hours working by myself with my 145bt, rake, and tarp only. The property was probably between 6-7000 sq. ft. The pile I made was probably about 20 ft. long x 5 ft. wide x 4 ft. high. The city picks it up. I told him $150. He about Sh!t himself. Was this to much? I try to get around $30 an hour. I go as fast as I possibly can solo. Am I missing something? ;)

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

since it's your first year I feel it was fine, but if it was your second, third, etc. then you are charging too cheap I feel
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

but of course I didn't figure in the type of equipment that you were using. So if you were using different equipment, it would take you not as long....too many factors I feel
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

After a couple of years after you get established don't charge any less than $40 an hour. That way you will make plenty of money.
  5. Husky03

I would have been able to go much faster, but under the top layer of leaves there was a matted layer of soggy leaves that my 145BT would barely move. I had to loosen these areas up with the rake before blowing.
  6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with tiedeman.....and here comes the most widely used phrase on LS..... "You should (and have ) educated the customer by telling him how much it would cost him".

I think you did NOT charge enough as well.

HOWEVER, do you have the right equipment? If you dont, then you charged appropriately. I mean, if you used an electric blower and a 21" mower, i am not surprised that it took you that long. If you have things like a leaf loader, Ultravac or a Cyclone Rake, and gator blades on your mower....then you did not charge enough.

$30/hr is just ok. with the equipment, you should get more like $45-$70/hr

7. Husky03

I would be charging more for this, but I do not have the equipment larger crews have. They charge more and get it done faster than me.
  8. Husky03

READ my post. I listed what I used.

Thanks... :)
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Husky, I also wondered what you used. I'm sure you know what a 145bt is but tideman and me have no idea. Is it a backpack or handheld? You said you had to rake the matted leaves to loosen them so I guess it's a small blower.
    As for the price as others have said here before you should price for the job and not for the equipment. It really doesn't matter how you do it it's what the job is worth.
  10. Husky03

It is the midsized backpack blower that Husqvarna makes. I think the engine is like 42cc? It has decent power. :)