1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

did i cook my kawi

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chris G, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

Im just looking for some help here guys
    i was mowing today in about 90 degree weather and the grass i was cutting was relatively high and i was cutting at full speed so the kawi 23hp was really getting a work out. then after about an hour(big property) i was just finishing up when my rpms started going up and down and i had a total loss of power so of course I shut her down and she looked to be hot but idk if it was overheated i mean it didn't look to much hotter than normal. so I finished up with another mower and let this one sit. When I got around to to looking at it, it seemed ok but not too much gas(still enough to work I think) so I started it back up and it ran for a bit then the rpms started going up and down and again loss of power.....this was a bout 30 mins after the initial problem....so I waited to the end of the day started it up after putting new gas in it and it ran fine.

was my engine overheated or was this some sort of gas problem..maybe a clogged filter? it appeared I had plenty when I started loosing power.

any ideas????
  2. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

check the filter and maybe the plug is fouling. idk.
  3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I had a problem exactly as you explained and mine had both coils fried dealer replaced them and was like new again
  4. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I had this happen last week. Carry extra fuel filters with you.
  5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would dump the gas, get some fresh, check the plugs and replace, don't think you can cook that motor!! Just my o2
  6. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Check the vent hole in your gas cap. Make sure that it's not clogged up and causing a vacuum inside the tank, starving the engine for fuel.
  7. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

hey thanks guys..now that I think of it it might just be a gas tank causing a vacuum issue like xterrajohn suggested because when i open the tank air rushes in. im going to check this and all your ideas tomorrow morning before work on monday.
  8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had this happen about 2-weeks ago too. It began with the engine RPM's varying with loss of power and finally dying. Let is sit for a couple minutes and it would start up and run just fine and I could mow a couple rows. Then the same thing happened again.

Solution was a new fuel filter -- went to TSC and bought a larger one made by MTD which works just fine. The cost was less than $5.00 including the tax.

OH by the way mine is the same engine a 23 HP Kawasaki.

9. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Good tip and something to keep in mind. Thanks! I have the same engine, so I was interested. But when I read about the RPM going up and down, the first thing I thought of was the governor might be malfunctioning. Glad it was so simple for you.
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well let me get into this a little deeper. It was not as simple as it seems to find and correct the problem.

I too thought it may be the governor because the RPM's were going up and down just like one of the older Briggs with the vane on the side of the flywheel. But I pulled all the fuel lines on both tanks , the line to the carb, the line to the fuel pump and the fuel filter.

Blew them all out using mouth pressure. Put them back together and it ran fine for 30 minutes or so. Then the same problem. Let it set for a couple minutes and it would run OK for just a couple minutes and same old thing.

A couple of my coffee drinking buddies agreed with me it must be the fuel filter. I replaced it and it has run like a new one for a couple weeks now.