1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did I do bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 15, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Recent mowing account customer asked for a quote, wen't out and called back at $110 a month for full service.

They said thats too much the last guy was at $75 a month, I didn't wan't to budge on price, but instead said $85 but I won't spray herbicides or maintain any hedges.

They agreed on $85 a month. Should I have been more firm, and stayed with $110? It was the first time I did this on a mowing account.

BTW I spray all weeds and trim twice a month in summer and once a month in winter.
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

So, you would have done the extra stuff for 110? How big of a lawn?
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Dang, you FLA guys work CHEAP!
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

we have to work cheap! there is so much competition here. still i would not live any where else. south fla -you did ok in my book if not doing the hedges. p.s i love the z master!
  5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

yeah the pricing is cheap in FL, $75 to $85 dollars a month is normal down here, but then we have mostly small yards 15 min to knock out an average size yard.

But there is soo much work down here that you line up 2 to 3 hundred accounts a week and it adds up pretty nicely.

Dan is right this is the place to be, mowing all year round tons of work and people (other LCO's) are very helpful here.

Yeah I'm pretty impressed with Toro's mowers, especially my Z-Master.
  6. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Gee wiz not like telling the entire lawn service community that its great here.
    Its really not that great.
    I would rather mow and have a landsaping biz in the north than here.
    But after 15 years its kinda hard to up and leave.
    In Tampa, Hillsborough county alone there are 6000 licensed LCO and that doesnt include the the weekend blow holes.
    Thats up 1000 from the year before.
    It getting real bad here. For example in an area I charge 150.00 a month for its now down to 80.00 for full service.
    There are guys here doing yards for 50.00 a month:confused: The sad thing is they have been around for several years so please dont tell me they will be gone after a while.
    I can go on all day about this.

The big question is, "Is there life after lawnservice?"
  7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I would have done the same thing. You still make money and get rid of the extra work.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long I still make my money, I do this a lot so long the lawn is ok and the customers appear awrite, that's half the battle. If they don't want to spend a lot, I get more basic and in the end it's still the same $ / hour.

Gets to a point I get fed up with the cut-n-blows because it really is more profitable to cut one lot for 85 dollars than to try and cut 3-4 for the same money, I can do a 1.5 acre in right about an hour and a half versus constantly loading / unloading and driving the rig around trying to get 15+ mpg is such a royal pita lol

But yeah, I got more than a few 'basic' service lots... They're happy and so am I because as a rule, they're far less picky than the fancy customers who want all that extra stuff thou not in all cases, but the cut-n-blow has its advantages because of that, you're in-and-out all day long.
  9. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Should have asked how long the other guy was doing it for. He was probably doing it for years and never raised his price. People getting lawn service for the first time usuallycan be sold on a higher price. The ones who have been around can"t seem to comprehend that over time prices go up. But down here you probably did the right thing, because if the people look long enough, they will find someone cheaper with the amount of guys out there cutting lawns.
  10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to get off topic in my earlier post.
    I would have asked how long the other guy was doing it and where is he now?

I recently had somone ask me for a quote. I asked where their current lawn service is and they told me all his illegal mexi help had to go so he doesnt get the hefty fine. He had to down size and they were not on the schedule.
    I asked how much they were paying and they said 17.00 per cut. They also said he has been doing for 17 years.

I gave them a price of 125.00 per month. I told them I've been in biz for 14 years too and I still raise my prices.
    I think they were a little sticker shocked.