Did I do something wrong to the blades ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was trying to run doubles this weekend I had to catch up after 2 days of rain and no mowing. So I put high lifts on the bottom and Gators on the top. When I took off on my first yard ( Commercial) And started the blades and went at it. So after mowing I noticed these blades left grass standing in most areas of the lawn as if I went over it at full speed when I was going over it at a slower pace than normal. What gives ??? The blades are sharp and I had stacked the blades like this + It just landed up cutting much worse than normal. It was actually quite embarrasing.

2. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

That is a mystery. I run doubles all the time, and I love how they cut. Right now I have Highlifts on the bottom, and gators on top. This gives a nice clean look on my lawns. I don't know what to say.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Bunton Guy - I run doubles all the time too an love them - your mower may not need all the lift. I try to run gators on top and bottom ----- or gators top and a regular lift on the bottom. I think some decks cannot handle all the lift double give, and end up with air packing in the deck and it cannot find its way out the discharge fast enough with high lifts in a double blade set-up

Thanks, Brad

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Also, Buntons have "bent" stock blades, which means they cut 3/4" lower than a straight blade. "IF" you have the stockers on the bottom and the "straight style" gators on top you actually "one full inch" difference in cut height. It's possible that the gators are doing nothing but blowing the grass over, "AS" Brad is suggesting. Try putting the gators "under" the stockers, which will give only 1/2" difference in cut height, but still "not" lower than the stock height.

Good luck,
    Pete

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same experience this weekend too. I came to the conclusion that GATORS SUCK!!!! All they did was blow clumps. I had to stop mowing, go to the trailer, take off the gators, clean out the deck, and then it was the mower i love. The gators turn my mower into a monster. I will never run gators again. Anyone want them?? (3) High lift 16.5" gators. No more than 10 hrs on them. Email me and they can be yours.

6. Bunton Guy

Thanx for the help guys I will switch the blade settup around. As a solo I have 15 yards on tuesday and 13 on wednsday to do..I normally to 10 a day but some are left over from last week and are TALL ! so we will see how the switch does.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

maclawnco - Funny you should mention that - I have always had great luck with gators on my JD 54" and 60" decks, and was always bragging them up, then a couple of friends put them on the JD 48" decks, and they absolutely packed the deck full of grass to the point it basically killed the engine. On the 54 and 60, they keep the deck so clean, I rarely even look under them, let alone clean them, SO - You may have one of those decks that are shaped or done in such a way that they do not work.

They definitely do not clump for me - even in the rain. Good luck in finding a combination that works.

Thanks, Brad

8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Bunton Guy --- remember that there are two different styles of “gators”. The original Gators are bent to throw the grass inward, toward the spindles, for the grass to be re-cut.

You might want to check out the ROTARY brand mulching blades because their fins are bent to throw the grass OUTWARD. I use the Rotary blades as the top blade on my doubles, during the spring and summer. Then in the fall I switch over to the original gators to gain a greater mulching effect for doing leaves.

9. Bunton Guy

I think the fins on the gator blades dont actually cut the grass they just remove lift so that the blades of grass fall back into the cutting blades many times over ....thats what I was told and everyone has been told something you know how that goes.

10. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

If gators don't add lift, why have fins on them at all? I thought that the gator fins add alot of chopping up ability. Atleast thats what I have found...