Did I do the right thing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TREEGUARD, Nov 24, 2007.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Lately money is a little tight we had a lot of bad luck this season with alot of repairs, having to buy new equipment broken windows ect... & to top it all off one of my dump trucks needs a new tranny.

I was thinking about letting one of my workers go to ease the pain of a high payroll but i couldn't decide wich on to let go there all great workers. I came up with this idea for the remainder of the season I told them that we were going to run a 4 man crew do do the clean ups instead of a six man crew for the next 3 weeks. I didn't let any one go i told them that they could only work 4 days a week instead of 6 days they all have to rotate days off 2 guys each day.

My question is did i do the right thing.
    let me know what you guys think.
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

This may accomplish your goal of reducing your number of employees as one might not care for this system and choose to leave.

On the other hand, from my view it is a fair thing to do, and depending on how well your employees get along and how much of a sense of team there is, they may be ok with the system and prefer to all sacrifice a few hours than see someone go.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that it was a good method and hope it all works out.
  4. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Its as fair as you can be
    Id let the guys have a hand in who wants to be off what days
    One day may work better for one guy than the other
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad idea...4 is better than 0.
  6. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Yes...you let ALL of your employees know that you are loyal to them and their jobs are held in high regard. However, watch your crew closely to see if any of them start to act disgruntled and pull them aside immediately. Not to say that they don't have a right to be unhappy about it, but you can't have an employee bringing the rest of them down. I believe you made the right choice, but it will definitely require a certain follow-through. Good luck.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You are a good man to try and look after your employee's to the best of your ability. That kind of fairness is gone in this country for the most part, the larger companies could care less about their employee's, your are a number without a face. When things get a little tough instead of trying to work something out to help their employee's they just send them to the unemployment line and take the easy way out. Bigger companies consider employee's disposable and they are the first things to go but that is just the way America wants their business conducted now. Anyone that reads this forum and has ever worked for a big company can verify this as American business.

I have a friend here in lower NC that was born and raised in Long Island with his father being a baker, Vinny and his wife are the best Italian cooks I have ever seen, maybe not just Italian but possibly on a high ranking chef status with all food.
  8. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

if u realy need to get rid of one, tall them, i am tight on dough/$$$, and if i catch u slackin of or...whatever u dont like, this is ur last warning. EX. " if i catch u doing that again, im gonna have to let u go.

IF u want to keep them u made the right deccision