1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NickN, Nov 14, 2003.

1. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'm loading up the equipment after finishing with a customers lawn this afternoon.This is a waterfront
    neighborhood with nice homes.A lady stops and asks me if I'm with (competitor name).
    I say,"No mam".(Guess the lettering on the truck was hard to read :)She looks at the lettering and says
    ,"Well (competitor name) never showed up today.Do you trim shrubs?" I say,"Yes,mam.Certainly"
    She then asks me if I will come by and give her an estimate.I tell her I will and that I'll follow to her home.
    Turns out she lives at the end of the street and her home is for sale.I get out and give her my card and introduce myself.
    She shows me the shrubs that need trimming.9 Dwarf Yaupon Hollies.Way out of wack.She tells me they have been squared before and she
    wants them rounded.They're 3 1/2 feet wide by 3 feet tall and growing in front her windows.
    I tell her I can and show her where the foilage ends and tell I can trim them so far and round them.
    She understands.She says she wants all debris removed,so I tell her I will completely cleanup.
    I quote $225 with removal of debris.She says,"Oh,there's no way I can do that!Thank you anyway."
    I said,"Alright.Thank you."Then I walked out to my truck and drove away.
    The question.Was that a fair price?Personally,I think so.I saw it taking around 3-4 hours to
    complete and I do have shrub trimming experience.
    I think I could have handled the conversation better,by asking if she believed in getting what she pays for.
    Also,I should have told her that if she needing anything else or changed her mind feel free to call me.
    So give it to me.Did I do the right thing?
  2. I think for 3 or 4 hours work thats a very fair price.if it takes 3 hours and i assume your solo thats 75 a manhour .
  3. NickN

from Alabama

One more thing.The customers house I was working at agreed to another shrub trimming job today.I had given them a written quote after they asked to have it done.Just one cllimbing rose bush at $45.00. :)
    At least something went right today.
  4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

Nick i think you did the right thing i have been in positions like this one before and i did the wrong thing i went down on my price and later when working my arse of i regreted it i believe that usually the first gut feeling quote is right unless it is so far off or extremely high ni think you did the right thing goood for you
  5. NickN

from Alabama

Thanks Odin!Yes,I'm solo until my ship comes in :)
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Was it a mad "Thank You" or a friendly 'Thank you'? It depends on that. You shouldn't act bitter when you are turned down for a job. You're not going to get them all.

At the same time, if you feel that the $225 was fair, and didn't want to work for less than that, then there's nothing left to worry about. I've had people with a reaction like that, where they think it's an outrageous bid. I've also had people not blink at an estimate that I enflated because I didn't really want the job. Who knows? I don't really care about people's reasons for not taking a bid, as long as I'm getting a fair amount of good receptions.
  7. NickN

from Alabama

Thanks Rookie!
    MTDMaster,She was very nice and polite,as was I.I left her with the impression that I didn't need the work.I don't see her as being a potential long time customer since her home is for sale.Sunk up in that lawn too.Mole tunnels everywhere.
    Thanks again guys.Makes me feel much better.
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds a little high to me if your talking only nine hollies. But anyway, a lot of homeowners think trimming bushes is real simple and shouldnt cost very much. Let her do it herself and see if it is real simple.
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

In my opinion that would be just a little too much time spent. What were you going to use.. scissors? Two hours tops.. that would be 10 minutes per shrub and a long 30 minutes to clean up. I would have done that job for $150.
  10. NickN

from Alabama

Thanks guys.I went with my instincts.No scissors.Echo hedge trimmers.
    These shrubs looked like they hadn't been touched all year.In a bed with leaves all over the shrubs.Mulch in the beds.These nine hollies spanned the entire length of the home,if that gives ya an idea of big they are.
    Thanks again.