Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rlc321, Sep 11, 2004.

1. rlc321

rlc321 LawnSite Member

I live on the space coast where Hurricane Charlie and Frances came through. I went to mow this older womens lawn after Charlie and there was a lot of small debris on her lawn I picked it up and put it on the street and did not charge her for this. Anyway I went to mow the lawn this week after Frances and there is even more debris on her lawn so I went to see her and told her I could not mow with all that debris on her lawn. She says with an attitude how am I going to pick it up I am on oxygen. I tell her I picked up the mess last time at no charge but this time I will have to charge her. She says fine I well find some one else.It would have taken me at least half hour to forty five minutes to rake it all up. She was a pita anyway.

2. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

i think you did the right thing, you helped out the first time but cant keep doing freebies because your job is make money not give it away, so yes i think you did the right thing

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

We will always pick up messes of all kinds automaticlly and if they involve more than 10 minutes or so, customer sees it on the next invoice. Never really had any complaints in 12 years yet. Pitas suck though, you are probably better off.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you did not do the right thing, your labor is your product, you gave it away the first time, and you lost. i hope you learned something

5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

No! once you start giving you have too continue you should have raked the lawn.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Obviously, she felt that you owe her for something because she is on oxygen. . .or maybe it was your fault for causing another hurricane. . .who knows. Let her find someone else, she'll just run them in the ground too and keep living her miserable existance.

7. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I just do whats needed and add it to the bill.

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of debris are we talking about? paper, sticks etc? or were their large objects that could severly damage your mower?

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure he was talking about fallen sticks, branches, and other misc. debris.I would have just said to her. "Fine. You'll have to pay someone ELSE to do it, TOO!"

10. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

i don't know thats a hard one. It's the kind of thing that will cause you to mow crooked stripes because your thinking about if you did the right thing or not.

The first time you were right by helping her out at no charge, but the second time would have been too much and she needs to realize it-she probably did but was so overwhelmed with all that's been going on lately that she came off a bit cranky.