Did I get hosed?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My '04 Deere Quik Trak 647 finally gave out on me....I reluctantly took it to one of the PITA Deere dealers in town. They told me it needed a new starter. They said the part is $353!!! Labor about $130!!! Did I just take a screwing on this deal?
    I swear every time I deal with the Deere dealers around here I get pissed! Seriously considering selling this mower, even though I like it....and buying a used Toro wb to replace it.

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

dude, you could have bought that starter for less then 20 bucks, and put it in yourself in about 10 minutes. YOU GOT HOSED DOWN LIKE A FAT LADY IN A MINI SKIRT!! (sick)

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

My Kohler 22 to 27 hp mowers use a starter that costs about $100. 10 minute install.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If it had a John Deere logo on it then you DID NOT get hosed, those logos are worth their weight in gold. The labor price was fair as long as the service tech had a John Deere logo on his chest pocket. Seriously though, why would someone rip a customer off that bad and not expect them to be irate? I will not buy John Deere products or Lesco for that matter, they think that their name is worth too much. If I were you, I would switch to Toro too.

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ive always run all Toro...bought this Deere on a whim...it was used and a decent price...didnt think about have to deal with the dealers.
    It just makes me sick to think of the money I threw away....chalk it up as another f*** up by me!!!!!!!!!

6. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, sorry to hear about that. Next time try asking on the forums for a solution. Talk about an arm and a leg :(

7. jp3gordon

jp3gordon LawnSite Member

I live in Minneapolis, MN. and I have had great experiences with the John Deere dealers around here. I do agree that John Deere is a homeowners choice versus a professionals.

8. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

WOW, I think they used a fire hose!!!!

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

You paid $483 total? Starters are kinda expensive, but I don't know. That seems pretty high.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Worse.
    Transcontinental petroleum pipeline by my calculations.