Did I give a homeowner the correct information concerning danalions?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LynyrdSkynyrd, Apr 19, 2004.

1. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

One lawn that I mow is covered in danalions. The homeowner would like to get rid of them.

The two lawns that border hers are also covered with them.

I am not licensed to apply Pesticides or chemicals to lawns and informed her that she would need to hire someone who is. Which was fine for her.

I also told her that I think that if the other two homeowners does not do something to kill the danaloins in their yard that she would most likely be wasting her money due to the flying seeds. For as soon as the killer stopped working that her yard would again become infected again.

I would like to know if I gave her the correct information. Would it be a waste of money to attempt to rid her yard of the danalions if she has a yard on each side of her that is also infected with them?

Thinking maybe her and her two neighbors could get together and hire one guy or company to take care of all three yards at the same time. Seems to me that would be the best idea. They may even get a price break having all three treated at once by the same people.

Did I give her decent information and would dealing with all three yards at once be better in the long run for her own lawn?
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You did good...now go get your license and find out where the real money is made.
  3. LynyrdSkynyrd

Thank you.
    I do not like to give anyone worng information if I can keep from it.
    I beleive now that if I can get all three homeowners together at once and explain the problem. They may be willing to go together and solve the Dam-me-lumps (as my daughter calls them) problem. It will at least save the one lady from wasting her money every week, month, year or what ever trying to keep her yard clear.
  4. LynyrdSkynyrd

Just an update.

Got to talk to all three homeowners at once. One had been treating for danaloins with over the counter stuff to not effect. Once I explained to them that the danalions were just cycling from one yard to the next and back again. They agreed that it would be a good idea and would be glad to split the cost for the treatments.
  5. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I've ran into a similar situation-Had D-lions in the yrd to the rt of my customer-After carefully app'g w/Pre-M, fert, herbicide, etc. for 1yr and spot treating -The neighbor was shamed into getting her yard in shape-I used a reseeding plan along with irrigation to thicken up the turf so that that any weed would have a hard time getting established-I do believe I spot treated a little more than normal due to the neighbor's yard though
  6. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

You did good man. lol You gave her the correct info and did not suggest any specific product to use which would be illeagal. lol
    Get your license. You could have made all that money yourself if you had them already.