Did I handle these JERKS correctly?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Xantar, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Xantar

Xantar LawnSite Member

This was almost amonth ago, but I forgot to ask about it... I was cutting a customers lawn, I had cut two strips with my 52" mower on one side of the house. There was a landscape crew working next to me on a city owned piece of land, on that strip they just leave all the clippings and leaves all over the lawn. I cut the two strips discharged away from their account anyhow as a sign of respect. I keep my customers lawn clean cut.. if I don't use a catcher I go over it enough times that it looks nice and clean. I proceeded along , and there was one of they're employees blowing off the walk that was in between our accounts. I look over at him to say hello, just like I do to all my fellow landscapers working nearby, and he's just giving me a dead stare as he's blowing thier clippings, and chopped up BLACK leaves into the the grass I just finished cutting. I was just floored I looked away, and just kept going about my business, than looked back, and he was still doing it, and still just staring right at me, at this point I was like wow this guy is a real jerk, so I look back at him and say THAT WAY! pointing towards the city's grass and he says... you got a problem man! I'm pissed now, he made a mess on the grass I had just cut with the chopped up leaves, blew up any folded over grass so it looked like crap, and than has the nerve to ask me If I have a problem.. I say youre blowing ****in the yard whats the matter with you? So he then directs the nozzle of his blower straight directly into my account and blows more stuff in there on purpose. So I retaliated.... I took my mower and recut all the crap he blew into my place back into his. He then comes into my customers yard starts taking the blower and blowing up more grass, taunting me with the blower. I tell him you'd better just get the **** outta here, he then moves towards me even more in a threatening manner.. in my customers yard no less, so I jumped back when he came towards me again and put my hands up in self defense getting ready to just unload (I'm only 150 lbs not a big or intimidating guy by any means). And I'm doing everything I can to NOT get into a streetfight in my customers lawn. Then when I did that he backed off, next thing I know his boss comes flying up onto the walk on his riding mower, I had to move out of the way, and he askes what's the problem, I tell him he's blowing s&!t into the yard, and before I could get one more word out he starts screaming you ********1 you *********, scumbag you're not using a catcher you're blowing stuff in here... which I wasn't.. going on and on calling me a *****, and ****** repeatedly, with my customer walking out to leave, with his thug employee standing right there as a 2 on 1. He sped away on his mower as he's still screaming this stuff at me, and the other one walked away. To top it all off I'm working with my 62 year old father who was just back to work after having 1st 2nd and 3rd degreee burns on his arms and chest. I was livid at this point and not sure what to do because I certainly wasn't going to have my old man try break up a fight like this. Then the one who initially started it drove by with ANOTHER employee starting with me again in front of ANOTHER customers house down the street! My old man told me to just let it go unless he actually got out, so I got ready, and didn't do anything, and they then drove away. So I went down to city hall, and told them how the thugs they employed to maintain thier property were going about thier "business". Right thing to do?

edited - whoa, watch the language. jodi
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Right thing to do. If the guy approaches you again in a manner that you feel are endangered, file assault charges on him. Don't even play into there yelling game.
  3. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

In our local ordinances litter is also defined as lawn debris and snow. We are not allowed to blow clippings/snow or whatever onto streets/sidewalks or someone else's property.

Outside of that, intimidating or threatening behavior is a matter for law enforcement.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, perhaps this helps explain why I never look or say anything to anybody?
    From time to time threads appear here with Lco's wondering why some other Lco's never acknowledge their presence: This thread is one reason. Whether your saying hello had anything to do with it, nobody knows... But I never say squat. I might give a slight nod of the head IF they greet me first, but with my dark goggles and a straight lipped and somber expression, there's little to be had from me.

As for threatening, you don't want to do that when I got either the 48" or the weedeater in my hand. With the Wb, I'll gladly pop a wheelie and let you see the spinning blades as I steer towards you, and with the guardless weedeater, I'll also gladly let you feel the WIND the string creates at WOT (by the way, weedeaters do cut skin, even through jeans lol).

Oh yes, step onto MY customer's property? You're mine now, I have more right to be here than you, and you lose every time.
    I love it when they step onto my customer's property, I cut them short and fast (verbally).
    Leaning against or touching my truck or equipment is another good one.

The only other thing I can think of, I always carry a teenie tiny little can of whoopazz in my back pocket: It's called pepper spray, you come onto me threatening and I stand my ground, you touch me and I whoop your tail with the touch of a finger on a can... I love it, it's hardly any effort and you don't feel all sore afterwards, thou I've never gotten to do it, the entire idea with the pepper spray just came to me this year as I had one TOO many jerks get in my face over something.

Ultimately thou, you can NOT get into their yelling game. You can stand your ground and look at them, and say absolutely nothing.
    Unfortunately for the redneck in me, that usually takes care of it.
  5. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes did the right thing. Further you should find out if either of these goons are the owner of the company, if not contact him and file a report. If you have any further trouble call the police. These are not serious incidents but the repeated occurance qualifies as a crime.
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have put that blower up his ass! Why do ppl have to be aholes?
  7. Xantar

Xantar LawnSite Member

Believe me I wanted to put that blower up his ass badly and I was about to.. as a final last resort.. like I said I work w/ my father, and didn't want want to get into a fight in that situation.. there would of undoubtedly have been bloodshed otherwise. They have a large crew with them. Don't enjoy fighting anyways, I used to for a while though in like elementary school. But those were the two biggest assholes I have ever had to deal with, and have been doing this for over 10 years.
  8. OCLL2000

OCLL2000 LawnSite Member

Be the better man, You made your old man proud I'm sure. They will get theirs one day
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Call the cops, that's what they're there for.
  10. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, you did good! If you have a cell phone, I would have shut of my equipment and just called 911. Usually once they hear that you're calling the cops, they book outta there.

Also, I weigh about 155-160 lbs. and I don't want to duke it out with anyone either... just remember what your arguing about! And yes, a line trimmer is a good defensive weapon... then again, so is a concealed weapons license. Not that this is ANY REASON to shot someone, but you never know when someone is going to get out of control. It happens over the DUMBEST THINGS, every day!

I would call the city and raise hell about theses idiots! :hammerhead: