Did I Hear right

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Mar 8, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I heard from a neighborhood landscaper who said that Great Dane got sued by Wright Mfg. (Wright Stander)for making the Surfer. The guy owns two surfers and he's tryin to sell them cause he saidt they aren't gonna be making them anymore in a couple months and parts are gonna be hard to find and expensive.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Actually this occured several years ago and has been resolved.

3. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

As well Great Dane is now owned by John Deere and as far as I know from what I've read here plans to continue manufacturing The Danes as well as using some of the technology in there own equipment.

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure on the exact details, but the reason the Surfers are no longer made is that they (or Great Dane?) were sold to John Deere, who now makes them. Not sure how much they've changed them and whether the parts will be that much different. If you do a search here you can find the details of the Surfer\Stander dispute and the licenses that Great Dane had to pay to Wright as a result of the lawsuit.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Tell your friend to chill out, as stated above the suit is old news and GD is now owned by John Deere, they must have saw something they liked to buy Great Dane. However if he is making deals have him give me a call...