Did I level the lawn correctly?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by shinyboat, Apr 3, 2005.

1. shinyboat

shinyboat LawnSite Member

I had a customer who wanted their lawn leveled because there were 3 inch ruts and other ankle twisters around. The grass could have been cut, but wasn't. It was about 2-3 inches tall. I am in the Seattle area, and most grasses are cut a little taller than others. We spread a a mixed soil and raked it over the lawn between 1/4" and 2 inches for the ruts and then rolled it with a 20 gal roller. Some of the grass layed over and some did not. It is significantly better than it was before in terms of walking on it. It was compost & sand processed through 1/2" screen - the local topsoil company recommended it. It will next be seeded. Because some of the grass laid over will that cause it all to die and not pop through? Will the new grass from the seed grow in the places where the grass was laid over?

I think I will be fine, but I just wanted to see what others think about this. I read some how-to's and there does not seem to be any set it stone information about this. Some say it is fine, others don't say anything and, some say only add 1/2" at a time. Did I screw up?