Did I Make a mistake ??

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by 22R, Jul 6, 2003.

1. 22R

22R LawnSite Member

Last week I traded a Grasshopper 721 Diesel on an Exmark. I got the 60" with the 23 Kohler on a Lazer Z. Now I am reading that this is too much deck for the horsepower. I am only a homeowner with 2-3 acres to cut. Should I try to get a 52" deck since I haven't used my machine yet or is this combo going to be ok for me ? My hopper had A 21 horse Kubota diesel and it did ok but, it did bog down in long grass with the deck in the lowest setting. Thanks in advance Any advice appreciated. Later, 22R

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

22R,

The 23 hp is going to be enough power for the 60" deck. In all honesty it runs head to head with the 25 hp Kohler that was the market standard for the past 6-7 years. 10 years ago they were running 18 hp Kohlers on 60" decks and we heard very few complaints.

You could take a jump up in power or decrease your deck size but in all honesty I don't believe it's necessary. Your dealer should be able to supply you with pricing information as well as availability of which unit you are interested in.

Horsepower is horsepower and if you were happy with 21 then the 23 should be an improvement. Don't rely on the legendary torque of a diesel engine to dissuade you as well. Massive amounts of torque don't do you much good on a lawnmower if the torque is at 1500, 2000, 2500 or even 3000 rpm. The mower decks, hydro drive systems and controls are designed to function in the 3500-3750 rpm range.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Terry

3. 22R

22R LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Terry. I also read on here somewhere that I could keep the bottom of the mower deck cleaner if I raised the back 1/4 of an inch. Is this true and How do I adjust it ??

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I would not worry about it. I went from a 721 (gas Kubota) Grasshopper with a 52" deck to a 61" ZTR w/25 Kohler and the 61" would run circles around it. Granted the Grasshopper was not a diesel, but still. The Grasshopper has more parts to eat power. You have PTO belts off of the engine that run to a dual pulley. That pulley is attached to a powershaft that runs through 2 pillowblock bearings. That connects to QD driveshaft, then to a gearbox at the deck with turns the belts and spindles. The mule belt system robs less power. I think you will be happy with it.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

22R,

Raising the deck a 1/4" in the rear may or may not help. Your mower should be set with a 1/8" to 1/4" of rake (Most are really close to 1/8"). Rake or pitch simply means that we want the blades cutting slightly lower on the front swing of the blade rather than on the back swing.

If you deck is set at 1/8" now raising it a 1/4" may not improve anything. Once you go past a 1/4" of rake you can see so strange things happen on some lawns. If you got to 1/2" of rake you can see a lot of strange things on a several lawns.

At this point I'd say don't fix isn't broken. Get some time on the machine, get the engine broke in, clutch broke in belts etc. After that if it's not cutting to your expectations give us a call or an e-mail and we'll sink out teeth into it.

Thanks

Terry