Did I make the right decision?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jdmtnbikr, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

This may be a stupid question, but here goes anyway....

Late last year, I was very unhappy with my current job (interior plantscaping maintenance) so I got the strong urge to go out on my own and start up a side business and hope it grew from there. I wanted to get into more landscaping and gardening design/maintenance. I bought a bunch of books, some equipment (not tons), did research and marketing, signed up for some classes. Very slow, I had a grand total of 2 clients up until about 4 weeks ago.

At that time, my current job had gotten really miserable so I started looking for a new full time job. Well, I lucked out and found one about 2 weeks ago. Working for a bio-tech company, as an Agricultural Research Associate. Pay is "decent" for entry level, plenty of room for advancement, benefits are amazingly good. Profit sharing, pension, 401k etc etc. Anyway, I am very excited about the new position but....

I was excited about starting my own business as well, and I sort of feel I just gave up on that. I know I made the smart move however, I think, just wanted some opinions.

Good steady job vs. who knows what??
  2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Congrats, I vote for the good steady job.
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I also vote for the steady job. If you want you can always get some really high paying customers and keep them part time.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I think you made the correct decision..there is a time and place for everything in it's season.
  5. wecruisin

wecruisin LawnSite Member

I started a job about 2 months ago that the first 2 weeks of it I hated. The pay is great for the area, the work is hard but i can advance quickly to different positions. I had been thinking of starting my own lawn business anyway before then since i had been working with a guy for the last almost 2 years. So i went out and bought a Zero-turn mower, new trailer and all to start my own. Now what do you know, i like my job now. So i'm sticking with the steady paycheck now and just going to sell the equipment i had bought and try to recover some of my money that i put into it. We live, we learn.

I vote for the steady job also.