did i make the wrong purchase ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc_77, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

i just bought a exmark viking last week.
    i finely went out and used it on all 8 of my account's. i now have 5 accounts left and probably one more going after i put down grass seed tomorrow. this thing scalped the hell out of EVERY yard !!! i have the deck hight set at 3 inches and even the smallest hill it scalps and cut's uneven. i went and used my 21, mower to fix all the yards to make them look some what respectable. even on on some parts of the yard that are completely flat the cut looks like s*** !!!! i can't believe i spent 5 K on a worthless mower that i can not even use.

when my dealer said i would be fine on mostly flat lawns, i had no idea he meant a 2 inch bump would be completely taken out by the blades.

I'm hoping they will fix this problem but I'm worried i just wasted 5K and I'm stuck with this POS !!!

sorry just needed to vent
    :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

grrr should have put this in the exmark forum. sorry.:eek:

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

At 3"? what is your deck size? a 48" will scalp with fixed deck only 3" height, even a 36" will in some degree.
    You spent 5k on a fixed deck mower? I am not sure about this.

Why don't you get a floating deck like TTHP? For 5k you can have a 48" TTHP with sulky. The 6 anti-scalp rollers around the deck is priceless and you can adjust both deck height and roller height accordingly to prevent severe scalping.
    I hope it is not too late to swap to TTHP, could you talk to dealer about this?

best wishes.

3. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

$4700 and some change with tax + catcher and sulky put it over 5 K.
    my dealer said i would be fine using a 36 fixed deck. i decided to save about $500 and take his word for it .
    he was as wrong as can be ! i brought it back to have him raise the deck. it doesn't scalp as badly but still scalps in 3 spots on my lawn. the cut is terrible now that we raised the deck also.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I kinda know the feeling, I have a scag fixed deck with less than 50 hours on it sitting in the garage. I was gonna trade it in but they only offered me 1/3 of the price of it with 50 hours, before i would give it away I have it sitting collecting dust

5. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

sorry to hear about your mower grass_cuttin_fool. i can't believe fixed decks are that bad, i guess it's all fixed decks are like this ?
    i wish i could just let this one sit on my garage and collect dust but it was going to be my main lawn mower. not very many of the LCO's around my area cut gated yards.
    it was a niche market i was hoping to get my foot into. with this mower , these people would be better off letting their grass grow to 8 feet tall. it would look better then if i went over it.

:( :(:angry:

6. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

MTR I'm going to try and get my dealer to fix the problem and i hope switch to a tthp. I'm scared to buy another exmark after this now, but I'm guessing this mower is just a lemon and something is wrong with it...my dealer knows i am new and that is the part that is worrying me about them helping out. i do have 2 back up plans. i bought it with a credit card so i have there backing and a friend of the family runs a fairly large landscaping company< 25 - 30 trucks / crews > that buys from this dealer. i can't say he will stop buying from them or anything but I'm sure if he went in there with me i might have a little more say in what happens with this mower.

lol i should have asked this guy more about what mower to buy but I'm hard headed and have to do things my own way. + i didn't want to sound stupid asking him all this stuff. :(

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

fixed decks are not that bad really. I have no problem with fixed decks.

8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started 8 yrs. ago, I started with 3 Deere fixed deck belt driven w/b's and rarely had any scalping issues. It takes awhile to get the feel of where the mower should and should not go (mowing ditches ect.). I do prefer the Hydro Floating decks, but we made it fine back in the day.

9. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

oh no this sounds like I'm whining ???? /sigh

something is wrong with this mower . i might be able to get pics of this .... before the deck was raised, a small incline that rises 6 inches over 3 feet in length. all grass is completely removed from the top of this hill with blade marks in the mud.
    since the deck was raised it is no longer scalping in this spot . i have other areas of my lawn that are like this and just about every one of my accounts do also.
    since the deck was raised it's not as bad, but i have areas that get cut at about 1 inch while the rest of the lawn is at 3.
    also since the deck was raised to try and fix this problem the cut looks horrible !

edit ...
    i still have a lot of spots that scalp down to the mud.

10. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Too bad you're having problems with the Viking. Perhaps you could demo the TTHP before puchasing something else. That is, if he'll extend you credit for the Viking. Myself, I'm an Exmark fan and haven't had any problems with them, but whose to say. Knock on wood! Good luck Doc. -Forest