Did I mess up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tbilltubbs, May 14, 2004.

1. tbilltubbs

tbilltubbs LawnSite Member

Toro lawn tractor (44HXL). I attempted to remove rear wheels. The first one came off ok, the other was stubborn. Tried driving it off by pounding on the inside of the wheel. The axle started coming out of the transmission, so I shoved it back in. Now the axle won't stay in (starts working its way out when riding). Checked the TORO online parts view. Didn't give enough detail to determine how the axle is held in the tranny. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Should be a Eclip or snop ring on the axle to hold it inside the Trans.

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

get a parts breakdown from dealer. Have the model and serial number handy. Having a fax machine is great, most dealers will fax a parts breakdown to ya.

4. tbilltubbs

tbilltubbs LawnSite Member

Thanks,
    Unfortunately, the parts breakdown shows the differential and the two axles as one unit. No breakdown. Have also found that the differential is a discontinued part.

Still looking at options.

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Well... if its not working now, take it out and tear it apart.. find out what went wrong.

6. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

You mentioned that one side is coming adrift and it seems like the other side is ok. I would check to see if there is a Clip of some sort on the good side of the axle holding that one in, like J&R said in his post.