Did I over bid for bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stephenslawncare, Mar 20, 2007.

1. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Okay, today I got a call from a lady asking for a bid, I went over to her house and she said that the entire lawn HAD to be bagged. The lawn was probably 1/2 an acre but half the back yard was woods and the ground was moss in the wooded area and the other half of the back was turf. She said that even though there was no grass in the wooded area, she wanted me to mow it once a month to pick up the "stuff" in there. I only bag two of my properties and one of them is next to the woods and the other one pays for neighborhood pickup but this yard had neither and I knew I would have to haul the clippings away. I told her that it would be $24.00 for the mowing, plus an additional $12.00 for bagging totaling $36.00 per week. She looked at me like and said "I was thinking more like $25.00" and then looked at me like I was going to lower my bid. I informed her that all bids are non-negotiable and that this is the final price. She said that she was going to get some other bids and call me back. Did I over price for bagging? Also not only would having to empty the bag slow me down, but turning around all those trees with the bagger hanging off the side would also slow me down. Also, what do you all charge to bag?

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Um, a half acre bagged would be $100 here...up in Chicago I would think it woulld be more....you didn't overbid...you underbid...BIG TIME!!!

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

""She looked at me like and said "I was thinking more like $25.00" and then looked at me like I was going to lower my bid.""

When they say that I tell them this is how I make a living and I can't afford to use a $9,000 mower for peanuts. Then I tell them to find some uninsured underage neighborhood kid and let them do it, but hope he doesn't get hurt.

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, Half acre here for me would be atleast $80 bagged and hauled away, $70 if bagging and no haul and $50-$60 with no bagging at all.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

okay thanks guys, if she really wants it bagged but doesnt want to pay that, she can go out and mow it herself

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I bid $40 for an old guy on a half acre, not to to much grass but majority of it was in the back yard, down steps which only a 21 can get to. The guy is still getting other quotes, which I doubt he will get much cheaper lol.

Cheers
    Jeff

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Around here that would be $30, $35 TOPS, bagged. But we run equipment that bags all the time and have provisions for it. Heck I mow numerous lawns that are 15 to 20K, bagged, for 27 a week... just the going rate.

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that must suck...my brother in law is an lco in Topeka and I know he gets more than that...your customers must be in poverty or something.

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I absolutely hate bagging grass. Nothing like having to stop to empty bags to slow down a day and put me in a horrible mood...

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, no bagging here either.