Did I over bid this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gator Done, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Gator Done

Gator Done LawnSite Member

Went on an estimate at a bed a breakfast it was 2 an 1/2 acres with about 30 trees and 10 benches pretty flat ground also was an adjacent house that was about a 1/4 acre.Guy said lets not make this a big deal just give me a price.I quoted 150.00 a week to mow and trim for both properties.He said I was way to high he has a guy thats doing it for 50.00 and thinks thats to high. I'd said good for you i'd keep him also. Have a nice day.How the hell is that other guy making any money?
    I've been at this for about 2yrs now mostly 1/4 acre residential that i get 35 to 40 a cut. This was my first big job.I thought I had actually given him a low estimate.

2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

$50, He is lying and you don't need a PITA like that. You did the the right thing by saying $150. That would of been my guess with out looking at the property first.

3. youdathlandscaping

youdathlandscaping LawnSite Member

I think you may have even come in a little low were getting $85 an acre here

4. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

other guy works for beer money your not! He cant be happy with a $50.00 mow and he may be lieing his ass off. I bet he is wasnt born in America.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Well hell.... if he has a guy doing it............Y did he call you ?

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

He will end up calling you back after he realizes your price was a fair price unless he finds some illegals to do it for cheaper

7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, ff you shop till you drop in the lawncare business you'll get the price you want. Too many newbies out there. Especially for residential. All new lcos can and will work for residential because of the low barrier to entry.

8. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I think the price goes down a little when its one big property. If I add up the properties I do in Mentor to equal one acre, it's more than 85.00. However, if I'm mowing a large 4 acre property, I can do it in an hour and twenty with my 60". I base my bids on time, not acreage.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

He is a lying PITA. Even if he did call you back, I wouldn't do it now because he has showed you that he is shady.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

No, you didn't underbid it at all. Especially with all those trees and benches.

50 bucks? I can't even see a lowballer doing it for that. I think he's lying.