Did i over bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Mar 22, 2002.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I bid on a job this week. It's a 2.5 acre property with about 2 acres of lawn. I did a follow up call to see if they decided yet and the hubby wants to shop around at prices. I bid $65 per cut and I thought that was low, but there is alot of other things to do like brush/leaf removel (a few years worth). They also want to expand the grass to the perimiter of there property line. The hubby says he pays his guy $40 per cut but doesn't like him and will not be using him ever again. Should I call him back and tell him $55 per cut? It's a very easy cut with lots of open grass (no small trees or rocks in the way). The only reason I would even consider lowering my price is if it is in fact to high, Also I only have one account so far and I need alot more and soon. I am getting into this part time just so you know. Thanks in advance for any input.

Edgar

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think you bid too high.. I think it's a little low. But I don't know your area. Don't lower your price..

Did you measure the area?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$65 for 2 acres of mowing doesn't seem high to me at all. Then again, I don't know your market.

Try using LawnGodFather's way of estimating a lawn...it's pretty good. Then see what you come up with.

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I didnt measure. They said there lot is 2.5 acres. I live on a third of an acre and they lot is definitly 3 times as big. How do I measure a lot? One of those things with a big wheele that you push? Bear in mind this is in New Canaan CT where gas is over $2. a gallon and most houses are $1,000,000+ You would think they wouldn't care about pricing..lol

5. Lawn-Scapes

Yeah.. one of those thingies with the wheel... get one.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

And don't forget to bring along a calculator, too.

7. Lawn-Scapes

BTW... 3 times a third of an acre is close to 1 acre... I think?

Get the wheel thingie :D

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

The measuring wheel is a great thing to have lying around....especially at mulch bed and application estimations. Money well spent.

In my area, which is upper middle-income residential, the going rate is between $40 and $50 an acre (depending on time/obstacles/toys in yard/nipping dogs/ect.)

I would be pricing way to low in my area at $65 for 2.5 acres. And this is not considered a "high-end" area by any means. Strictly middle class working and retired folks.

Some guys over in the 'rich' part of town (1,000.000+ homes) are getting $75 an acre...and more.

It does depend on the particular area and what the market will bear in that area. And your salesmanship.

Good luck. :)

9. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell the hubby that you'll cut it for $55 the first cut and that you might have to adjust the price after the first cut. If you do quality work, the hubby shouldn't mind paying the extra $$$. I have a similar situation. Priced a condo complex at $175/cut last spring and the POA went with a guy who priced it at $100. Turned out he was moonlighting as a lco and would run out of daylight mowing and wouldn't come back the next day to finish up. Got a call from the president of the POA and told them I would mow it the first time for $140 and adjust the price if needed after the first cut. She seemed content with this.

LAWNS AND MOWER

10. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If it is 2 acres, $65 is way too cheap, it should be closer to $80 to $100 depending on how much trimming, blowing, etc. you have to do.

Even if you are a part timer, price your work professionally. Once you take a job at a bargain price, you will probably be stuck at that price or have to drop the customer. It is very hard to start low and then get the customer up to a fair price.

Get a measuring wheel and measure the property if you are in doubt. If it is just an acre, your price is probably ok.

The other work should be additional profit. If you are losing money on the mowing each week, you will get to where you don't want to do it and the extras go from being a really nice profit to just barely covering your shortfall on the mowing.

If he didn't like the other guy, he should be willing to pay more for quality work.