Did I Over Price This One?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zinkjo, Apr 3, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Just landed a new customer this weekend. Initial proposal was for cleaning out all beds on the property. This is a pretty exotic property spanning over 2.5 acres. I estimated 3 people for 3 days (9 hour days). Landed the job for $3,400. There is also alot of carting away we will need to do (leaves, sticks, debris, etc..).

Customer called back this afternoon and wanted to add "mulching" to the estimate. We went back and measured up all the beds and it was a staggering 13,000 sq feet of beds. Which in my book converts to 150 yards of mulch (3" thick). Gave her an estimate of 9,750. We usually charge 70/yd, but with the volume we gave a bit of a break. Is that price crazy or am I in the ball park?

2. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Sounds about right........if that one goes well,your wallet should be OK :cool:

3. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

The mulching price could be right on as well, but you didn't state how much the mulch is costing you.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually come up with a tad over 120 yards of mulch.

I would be able to give a better discount than $5 per yard, but that is all relative to costs of operation and material cost. Also have to factor in accessibility to property, delivery of materials method, etc.. is there room to order a semi-load and drop on property? Things like this will all play a role.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I get it blown in @$45 per yard when it's over 60 yards .... same outfit that does Epcot & the Space Center ....but hey $70-65 per yard is killer

6. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I have figured one man hour per yard when using a wheelbarow loaded from a truck or dropped pile, not having to go far with wheelbarrow. Good luck, make what you can make!

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta love lazy customers with fat wallets. payup

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bid my largest mulch job today, 42 yrds: $2570. Surprisingly, i was the lowest! This was the first one that i haven't been the highest, i usually get them anyway but that was surprising!

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you could've went with 1.5" cover and halved it. :)
    That, and I deliver and spread mulch for 45/yard and the guys will come in and blow it out for around 50 or so...
    You guys must be getting the Premium prices.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The $9750 was on top of the original $3400, I'm assuming. Seems like a good price to me. Hopefully you'll make out well on that job. Let us know how it went when you're done with it.