did i pass or fail?????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by llama, Jan 10, 2005.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

I just got back from bidding a job for a customer. Below is what she wanted us to quote:

2 existing flower beds (#1-12' x 8' & #2-16' x 8') to be emptied of 4 holly bushes and 2 Yucca bushes each (totals of 8 and 4).

Build up the flower bed of landscape timbers (3 high) built on 2 sides of each bed to meet the front porch and house

Fill the beds up with 6" of top soil, put in a weed protector and fill the remaining 3" up with white rock. The customer will supply the top soil and rock.

I estimated I needed the following:

19 landscape timbers
    1 3' x 100' roll of weed guard
    30' of 3/8" rebar

My material costs = $95.00

I bid the whole job for $400.

Am I in the ballpark or am i about to learn a lesson? Thanks for your replies.

2. sc8per_7

sc8per_7 LawnSite Member

Just a note to think about the Yucca's, Make sure you take some extra time to make sure you get "all" the root system out of the beds, if you don't you will visiting her alot in the future, they will find a way to come up to the surface.

I think your bid is low, did you put in time for you getting the materials you need, disposing of the debris, clean-up time and any man hour for help?

If I go by what you are posting, my bid would be in the area of $1300.00

Good Day, God Bless. And Hope you get the job!!!!

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking you are low. I would probably have charged close to 400 just for the removal of the Holly's and yuccas.
    I don't know exactly what you are talking of landscape timbers? If they are the cherry tone 8'x2.5"x3.5" timbers or if they are similar to rail road ties. I would say if they are the cherry tone ones it will take you roughly 4 hours to install properly. and another 2 hours shoveling dirt, and another 3 hours shoveling rock. Unless you have a tractor or skid steer to use. I am guessing I would have charged close to a grand by the time I was done give or take other obstacles.

4. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

My .02...never do jobs where the customer supplies materials. That being said, I probably would have been $750.00 - $1000.00

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with mcclureandson i never do jobs when the customer supplies the materials. red flags should go up here these are customers that are wanting to save money by getting the matierials themselves thus they will be come a PITA very quickly. Also think about what if they do not supply enough materials and then you have to come back to finish= more out of your pocket. what if they get all of the materials in bag and not loose bulk = big PITA for you. this should be a flag for you. your choices are to go back supply a bid for everything soil and rock included and explain to the customer that you do not do jobs w/o getting all of the materials yourself. Think of it this way its like going to a picture studio to have your picture taken but you bring the film. Photographer wouldnt be too happy i dont think. I would also agree with the others that your price is a little low. around $1300-$1500 would be my bid also dont forget to compensate for the compaction of the soil after it settles. make sure you mark your materials up at least 10-20% also add in delivery cost for you getting the materials and your labor time at an hourly rate. hope this helps ya out some PM if you have any other questions.