Did I quote to high?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Baseballer1100, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

A guy called me to come out to his house and give him a quote on weeding the beds putting new mulch down and trim the bushes as well as plant some flowers he bought. here is what i said i would do.
    -Trim Bushes
    -Weed All Beds(Front and Back)
    -Put a new edge on the beds(Picture Included)
    -Dispose of all bush clippings and weeds
    -Apply a Pre-emergent for the weeds(Stops weeds from -coming back up to 3 Months)
    -Apply Mulch
    -Spray Round-Up on the weeds growing in the cracks in the driveway and sidewalks
    -Clean Up
    I figured that this property would need at least 3 scoops of mulch which is close to 15 yards.
    Here are some pictures of the property:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is about four of these beds in the yard:
    [​IMG]
    some pictures of the bushes and what not..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I told him the total cost would be $975.00 not that its a huge factor but it is a 30 minute(25 Mile drive from my house) and here is how i broke it down..
    -Weeding and laying mulch 45.00 a yard. There will need to be 15 yards spread. $675.00
    -The Amount of Mulch needed is 15 yards at $58.00 for 5 yards. $174.00
    -Trimming Bushes $60.00
    -Cost of Pre-emergent $30.00
    -Round-Up $15.00
    -Dump Fee $21.00
    He hasnt responded yet but im thinking that i may have bidded to high. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Your 3 scoops must be huge scoops.

Out here, "unit's" are common load sizes, containing about 7.25 to 7.5 cubic yards per load.

Your 15 yards would have been 2 units here.

But either way, most loading here is done with 1 or 2 cubic yard buckets. So one scoop here is like one cubic yard.

3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

So your charging him only $48/yd for mulch, product and labor? Seems kinda low if so. He's probably price shopping. I think if anything, you were probably low. I quoted a job similar to yours this spring, which needed 11yds of mulch and needed the beds power edged. I quoted around $1,200 for it. I didn't get it, but I wouldn't want to do it for much less. I hope you get it.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be around 1500.00 for 15 yards of mulch.

5. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

I could be off as far as what is meant by a yard. The guy told me there were 5 yards in a scoop so thats what i am going by. However this could be way off. I normally go by how many scoops i would need and i know it needs at least 3 scoops of the mulch to cover it. I really need to figure out for sure how many yards are in a scoop.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i wouldnt touch that for under 1700!

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

look at it this way, a bobcat bucket scoop is a half yard.

8. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

If those pictures are all the mulch beds, you won't be needing any 15 yards. 3 yards looks like more than enough for whats in the pictures.

9. BrIONwoshMunky

BrIONwoshMunky LawnSite Member

Square yards of coverage at a uniform thickness and cubic yards are totally different measurements, and could be where the discrepancy lies between the original poster and the responders.

10. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Then the price is out of whack. Way to high for only 3 cubic yards of mulch, too low for 15. BTW, all the mulch yards around here use 1 cubic yard buckets.