Did I screw myself or not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy contact me for a one time cut, he lives in a VERY VERY nice area, houses go for around 800k. (MARKETING :) Door hangers) now this is about a 40 min trip each way for me, so its a bit of a hike, I told him being that its a one time job and how far it is, that I could not price him out on the work, but on the sqft of the lot, its about 8610 sqft, i am charging him 10 cents a sqft which came out to 87 bucks....he accpeted with no questions, did i under bid myself? * this is for a cut, trim, edge, hedges, flower bed areas & cleanup.

thanks

2. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

WOW... without seeing the property I would not have given a bid that included flower bed areas, cleanup, or hedging.... Just mowing edging and triming I might have give him a quote over the phone but it would be high especially for the drive. $800k house, the bid probably would not of been under $140 bucks. Plus you are talking about driving for 1 hour and 20 minutes pulling a trailer. You will probably burn at least $15 in gas. With all that said I remember when I first started I took a job that took me and 1 other person almost 2 days for $450. Ugghh I hated that job!

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Seems he will burn more fuel than $15 buck's,seems cheap with a account it will kill most of a day.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Damn, that has to be a new low!

I have .76 of an acre. It will be about a 800 mile drive for you each way, BUT I'll give you $110 for a cut, trim, edge, hedges, flower bed areas & cleanup :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. MMLawn

I addition to working on your bidding skills you also need to work on your math skills........10 cents per sqft has you stated for 8,610 sq ft is $861.00 NOT $86.00.......$86.00 woud be 0.01 cents per sq ft :dizzy:

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Its ABOUT $87 BUCKS you said... It's just an estimate take a good look at the property when you get there and make the customer is home when you go incase you need to bump it up. it might be a very easy job to don't forget.

Edit: oh I would do it for $816 no promblem.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL I never even noticed that :laugh: :laugh:

At the same rate, I don't 'do' squat without looking at the job first.
    No prices on the phone, no way, no how.
    No, not even a ballpark anymore: May I have your address?

8. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Well, MMLawn, hate to bust your chops, but............ you're wrong too!!!:)

$86 would be if priced 0.01 DOLLARS per square foot. If you priced it at 0.01 CENTS per sq foot, as you suggested, you would only collect $8.63.

A reminder to us all to read the fine print and make sure you understand what you are reading.

9. MMLawn

No, forum newbie, 0.01 cents is an accepted mathematical form of ONE PENNY, as $0.01 which is what you are trying to post.

Course I am far from an expert in PENNIES cause I don't deal in them only dollars, so I will defer to your PENNY knowledge. :laugh: :laugh:

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

LOL topsites is right never price on the phone people call me all the time and want a bid,never price a job on the phone .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.